Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Honey, Hold On to Your Wallet!

Yesterday in my Simple Woman's Daybook post I mentioned about my fancy new iTouch application to track water intake.  Well, can I just say... Pffffft on that!  (That was a raspberry sound if you hadn't got that).

So, last night, in order to get 100% on my daily water intake I downed 2 large glasses of water shortly before I head off to bed for the night.  Hmm.  Not a good idea I found out.  Around 3am I awoke with a terrible pain in my lower back and a bloated type feeling in my abdomen.  After my second trip to the bathroom, and squirming around in pain, Hubby woke up and asked me what was wrong.  I explained that I think I had drank too much so after telling him to watch his eyes, I grabbed my iTouch and at 4:00am googled "drinking too much water" to find that I most likely did and now my kidney's were telling me to SLOW DOWN!  (I may add that I haven't had any water today for fear of water-logging my poor kidneys more ~ probably not good either but once bitten, twice shy they say).

I finally got back to sleep around 5ish and slept until after 9:30am, having a very slow morning of watering my garden and wandering around my house.  The pain in my kidneys has subsided some but I can still feel it when I take a deep breath which is better than at 3am when I couldn't take a deep breath at all.  If it doesn't clear up in a day or two I'll go to the doctor.  It was scary to read this morning though that some people have died from drinking too much water.  Yikes!

This afternoon, I decided that I needed to get out of the house.  I was still on a mission to find inspiration for my "graduation muffins" I'll be making at the end of the month and also hunting down a mirror for the front hall.  I'm thrilled to report I have accomplished both missions today!

First off I found this AMAZING store about 20 minutes north of my house.  It's called Golda's Kitchen and it has every imaginable cool baking gadget available to woman and tons of cool cake decorating and cupcake accessories (although of course none for graduation cupcakes specifically.)  I must have wandered around the place for over an hour just looking at the baking section.  One of my dreams (although I doubt it will ever really happen because of my Type B personality... but a girl can still dream, can't she?) is to have a small cupcake business.  As I gain experience with my "What's New Cupcake" book creations (like my flowers) I'm hoping to build myself a little portfolio and offer my "services" to friends, family and friends of friends for their special occasions cupcake needs.  Who knows, I may even work on cakes too.  I really need to take a cake decorating course first and lots of practice before I'll be ready to actually sell my goods.  My Mom was an amazing cake decorator.  She made all us girls' wedding cakes (mine was the only real cake though).  Once again, another thing I didn't pay enough attention to when she was here.

Anyhoo... I digress.  So in Golda's, I spoke with a woman who works there.  Although she hasn't worked there long, I told her my ideas for my graduation cupcakes and together we decided that the "hot pink" white chocolate fondant would be best for what I am planning.  She assured me that this fondant is delicious and pretty easy to work with, although she did recommend that I practice for a few weeks before I make the actual cupcakes.  It took every ounce of self-control I had today to only pick up the fondant and a small cake decorating book.  Hubby should be glad I didn't let my heart's content go wild because we would need to move, or kick the nephew out of his bedroom in order to contain all the cool baking things I saw and wanted today, not to mention remortgage the house to afford it all!

After leaving Golda's with just the essentials, I was off in search of a picture frame and hallway mirror.  I am re-doing a tri-picture frame I had in the hallway of both our parents at their wedding's with our wedding picture in the middle.  I want to make a "rogues' gallergy" up our staircase, but I'll tell you more about all that later.  I found the frame I wanted for these wedding pics at Wal-mart for a good price. 

I also stopped in to Bulk Barn to get some shoestring black licorice for the cupcakes and then I was off to Rona (a Canadian Home Depot type store) where I found exactly what I was looking for in a front-hall mirror.  I'll show you that later too, once Hubby puts it up tonight.

It was a great afternoon, totally distracting me from my water-logged kidneys, but my poor Honey... he's not going to let me out shopping anymore.  I'll for sure need to tell him the next time I head to Golda's so he can hold on to his wallet!

6 comments:

Beth Zimmerman said...

I would love that store for sure!

About the water ... start slow and build up. You probably just overwhelmed your system. Drinking too much water is actually pretty rare. I used to try to down at least 200 ounces a day and never had any trouble ... except for those middle of the night bathroom trips!

Mikki said...

Sounds like fun. I LOVE kitchen stores and this one sounds great!!

Janera Jepson said...

Hi SUE-
My name is Janera Jepson and I host the new Wednesday meme Wednesday Wickedness (http://jjatww.blogspot.com). Don't let the name throw you. We are a family oriented meme that's similar to Linda's Random Dozen. We base our questions each week on quotes from someone famous. This week is Frank Sinatra. Since Linda is taking time off I thought I'd invite you to play during the hiatus. We always post on Tuesdays (we're up now!) so players can play on either day. We hope that you will join us! :)

Janera

Amy G said...

Cool store!! I'd love to go with you sometime!! And I can't wait to see the results of these awesome cupcakes...I might need to borrow the idea (or your services?) for something for J this year. You are so industrious, I can't keep up with your thought process let alone your physical endeavours. But I'm cheering you on...YAY!
I am so sorry about your kidneys...that's yucky. I hope they flush out soon. See...being healthy is overrated - and dangerous, too! Heehee. Eat cake.

Lori said...

Hi Sue!! I have heard of people drinking too much water. I am sure you were safe, but just be careful. Have a nice day sweetie!! ((BIG HUGS))!!

Sandra Rowell said...

Your water intake made me think of a woman who died during a radio contest called "Hold you Wee for a Wii." It was back when Wii's were hard to come by. They had contestants drink gallons of water to see who could "hold out" the longest. You can read about it here. http://www.joystiq.com/2007/01/13/woman-dies-of-water-intoxication-after-radio-contest/ I'm just glad that you are recovering!