Saturday, July 11, 2009

Things Nobody Tells You

Has it really been over a week since my last post? Did you think I'd gone to sleep after Little Miss "H" left the building and never woke up? No, I just shut down my brain for the week and vegged... a little too much though because every day that passed, it became harder to think of something to write because I had nothing exciting to share. Oh, I could have told you how my Sims3 family was doing in their fabulous beach front home. I could have shared the details (and frustrations) of trying to plan a real life beach front vacation (which you may still hear about some day). But every time I thought of writing, I just couldn't put fingers to keyboard and the days flew by.

Mid-week I got walloped by the unfortunate effects of perimenopause. I'll just state here, if any men are reading this post (or women who don't enjoy a good TMI moment) you may want to pass over this next section of the post.

There are things in life that nobody tells you... or at least nobody told me. I grew up in a family with 5 females. Mom, and four older sisters. You would think SOMEONE would have warned me about the perils of perimenopause, don't you? Granted two of my four sisters had their "plumbing" removed in their 30's/40's after their children so I guess I can't blame them. They are completely unaware of just what they've missed. My Mom passed away 2 months after my 39th birthday so she isn't around to fill me in. Then there's my sweet sister in NC who we talk about EVERYTHING but at 52 (or is she 53 now... I've lost track... could do the math but I'm too lazy!) is just now thinking she is finished and "didn't really notice" the changes. WHAT??? How could that be?

I need you, my peeps, to walk with me down this crazy road. For those of you in your mid to late 30's... listen up... you'll want to hear this! For those of you in your 40's (early, mid, late) or beyond HELP!!

I turn 45 (can barley type that without going into some sort of gag reflex) in 5 weeks. For the past two years my previous "clockwork" cycles have gone completely haywire and unpredicatable. Last summer, for instance, I didn't have a single period the entire 3 months of summer. In our almost 15 years of marriage I've never been pregnant (other than the doctor induced one during artificial inseminations back in 1999 which lasted all of 2 days). Never miscarried that I've ever been able to tell (other than said experience above). Stopped doing home pregnancy tests LONG ago after numerous let downs of negative strips. I just waited all summer long for good ole "Aunt Flo" to show her ugly face but she didn't.

When she did show... holy Moses... I thought I was going to bleed to death... but I won't go into all the gorey details. Since that experience last summer, my cycle now goes from maybe one or two "normal" months to one humungously long one... like this month. And the cramps... oh my. Sometimes I think they are coming to stay for a week along with Aunt Flo!

Before this week, I hadn't seen "her" since mid-May. Of course, I don't mind in some ways not seeing her but when she disappears like that it's never a good thing because I know that when she does arrive... whoa... does she arrive! The worst thing about her showing up late is that she brings with her those excrutiating cramps. I mean the "Is this what labour feels like?" type of cramps. The "I can't even touch my belly it hurts so bad" type of cramps.

Then there is the... how do I say this without being too graphic and gross... the flow. For the first two days I felt like I was going to hemmorage the flow was so heavy. Gross, painful, messy. Some days I think I'll smack Eve upside the head when I get to heaven! I'm keeping the femine hygiene product business in the black that's for sure!

So... what I want to know is ... are any of you out there experiencing this too? How are you coping? I fortunately haven't gotten to the hot flash stage (although it might be kind of nice to feel warm in the winter... finally!). I don't really have any of the other symptoms of emotional crankiness (thanks to God I'm sure!) nor the insomina, etc. It all seems to linger around the menstral area for now. Any thoughts? Any comfort you can give?

So, that's where I've been this week - first of the week recouping from the previous two weeks - end of the week suffering with Aunt Flo's arrival and feeling quite sorry for myself if truth be told. Gotta love being a woman! Blech!

And just think... this is only ONE of those things nobody tells you! Can't wait to find out the rest!!

9 comments:

Denise said...

awww sweetie, I was wondering where you were but just thought you needed the down time after your busy weeks. I'm so sorry you're going through this, and I hate that I don't have any wise words (other than GO see your doctor!) cos at 45 I'm still on the pill and lucky for me everything is still regular (and very light)! Seriously, I do think you should see the dr or GYN and at least ask what can be done to help.
Hope to see you online soon, we've just been hanging out here all week as it's too hot outside, over 100 EVERY day... am I allowed to say I'm sick of summer already?!
Love you
xxxx

Anonymous said...

I'm not there yet, but expecting it any time. I'd go see the doctor and see what they say. I feel for you. Hang in there.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I just thought you were enjoying summer, so sorry to hear about your problems. :( I hate going to my gynecologist, but you should go, maybe he/she can help.
Happy Sunday! Hugs!

Mikki said...

Oh dear friend, I hope you find encouragement here. I'm only in my late 30's but have friends who are going through with this..

My mom isn't a HUGE natural/organic/vitamin junkie- but she does do a lot of vitamins and stuff like that to help her through a lot of stuff like this..

Pray it all goes smoothly :-)

Kat said...

Hi Sue, well I had a hysterectomy but not a complete I still have my ovaries and from what I know from my friend that is 51 what you're going through is normal, she has the same thing going on. Now my mom who did not have a hysterectomy, she just stopped her periods and then had hot flashes. I have had zero symptoms so far that I know of. I really feel for you because it's miserable. Just remember that this to shall end and you will be in a new season soon. I am 6 years older then you and 45 sounds young and it is, so enjoy it because soon you will have to say 50 and that's really hard. I hate it so much! wha wha wha. But at least I can say I am alive and well and that's a blessing in my book. Have a great weekend sweets and feel better poor baby girl.

Abby said...

I missed you! I'm glad you're back. Thanks for the insight... I have no advice as you can imagine:)

Susan said...

Hi Sue, I had very painful cramps but it was the PMDD what was horrible. All the emotional and physical things. Going on the pill helped the periods. You may have fibroid tumors. They are benign but cause a lot of pain and bleeding. You may also have endimetriosis. That is when parts of the lining leave the uterus and embed int he pelvic area. They still bleed inside causing pain and tenderness. I would see a gynecologist. The pill can help.
I had a period ever 3 months the last year and would have hot flashes, Then at 53 they finally stopped. Estrogen creme has helped. Big hugs.

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

You would hate me for sharing my details that are not as trying as yours. I'm 46 (47 in October), and I've been at this for a couple of years now. After being regular as clockwork, last June I had a period, didn't have another until October, then didn't have ANOTHER until this June. But i am not done; you have to have been without one 12 whole months before they say you're done. Perhaps this was the long and winding road about which the Beatles sang.

Karen said...

Wow! I've been on a blogging hiatus as well for the past week. But mine was due to 3 articles, an essay, and a short story being due plus a presentation to prepare for. I'd much rather have all that than what you were dealing with.

However, I am 39, and in my family, hormone changes typically hit us early. Thanks for warning me. :)