Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Beginning to Question My Puppy-Sitting Skills

As much as I'd like to believe I am a good babysitter/puppysitter, I am beginning to wonder if this is true. Remember on the weekend, when Pepper had only been with us less than 24 hours and already he had eaten half a Q-tip. Well, just wait... it gets better (or not).


At 3am Monday morning, Pepper hops off the bed and heads to the door. Apparently, his before bed pee didn't tie him over and there I was, wandering my neighborhood at 3am, taking Pepper out to go potty. All I could think of is "Please don't bark! PLEASE, don't bark! My neighbors will hate me!"

I took Pepper out into the back yard again first thing after getting up for the day for his morning pee. I had forgotten to hook up his leash! Now remember, I don't have a fenced in back yard! When I realize my mistake, I head over to Pep on the grass, hook him up and then look down the common area lawn. HOLY SMOKES... there is my neighbor's overly exuberant, 1 yr old Border Collie, staring down at Pepper. Next thing I know the two dogs are barking up a storm at one another. Tugging. Pulling. I was a little worried that "string" holding Pepper to his retractable leash would hold.

THEN... my neighbor decides to bring her jumping, leaping dog to my backyard where Pepper is going crazy, barking and trying to escape the lunging beast in front of him. Eventually, my dear neighbor gets a clue that neither Pepper or I am enjoying her visit and she takes her dog home, then returns to meet Pepper. Pepper immediately starts barking again when she comes back to the yard. Poor little guy. He eventually settled down but then once back in the house, about 10 minutes later, threw up in the kitchen this "orange juice" looking barf. Was that the tiny piece of chicken hubby gave him Sunday? Note to self... no more people food!

Then, Monday afternoon, after hubby got home from work, we put Pepper in his crate and head to the swimming pool for a while. When we got back I hopped in the shower while hubby came down to heat our leftover dinner in the microwave. As I entered our bedroom after my shower, there was Pepper on our bed... and an empty Kit-Kat chocolate bar wrapper.

"Honey," I called down to the kitchen. "Did you leave a Kit-Kat wrapper on the bed?"

"Uh... No. I did have half a Kit-Kat bar, but the other half was tucked into the cubby on the far side of my desk".

"Ah. Well, I think Pepper enjoyed the rest of your bar!"

There was Pepper on hubby's side of the bed, licking his chops. So, this newby to the world of dogs, runs to the laptop... again... and googles "My dog at a Kit-Kat bar" and surprisingly, there were answers to my query. Fortunately, the replies stated, the bar is mostly wafer and it's milk chocolate which is less toxic to dogs than semi-sweet or dark chocolate. I couldn't believe it. What else can we do to this poor puppy? I don't think we're ready for a dog! I feel too irresponsible -lol

So all Monday evening I was on standby... watching, waiting, wondering what if any symptoms Pepper would show from his sneaky treat. Fortunately he had no ill effects! Phew. The funny part is though, now we keep our bedroom door shut because every time after his theft, he returned to the scene of the crime, crawling over hubby's computer and desk to get to the empty cubby, in the hopes that Uncle "D" has put more goodies in there for him to steal. Silly puppy!

The next day I was scoping out the poop to make sure Pepper was okay and phew... all is well! lol

Now that Pepper knows a) where hubby keeps his stash of goodies and b) where the other dogs in the neighborhood live, he's becoming more "comfortable" here at Auntie Sue's and he'll sit and growl at me when he wants to go out... not that he needs to pee because we had just been out the front to pee. No, he growls at me to take him out back so he can bark at the big dog down 3 doors! He knows when that dog is out there! Oh my... Am I really ready for a dog? lol

13 comments:

~Pam~ said...

Hi Sue!

Oh dear, you have your hands full with Pepper!! Sounds like you doing just fine though, dogs are a lot of work as you well know. lol

Have a super Wednesday!
Love you
x0x0

Kia said...

Ciao Sue, it seems to me that you are doing just fine :) and are ready for a puppy. :D Have a fab day! Hugs!

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

You are doing just fine! When you get your own puppy, he/she will get to know the neighbor dog from the start and maybe they will be friends and not bark at one another.

Here is a link to a great quiz to help you pick out which breed would be best for you. *hint hint*

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/search.htm

Abby said...

LOL! Little dogs are so sneaky! Dakota once got up on our kitchen table (i really think he's part cat) and stole a 100 Grand Bar and I found him under the guest bed with a wrapper licking his lips. I of course freeked out! He was fine! Now of course he LOVES chocolate! We buy these little chocolate dog cookies at Walmart and he will do just about anything for one:) HA! You should look for them! I think you're ready for a dog!

Kate said...

Oh Sue, you are a brave woman!

Eric had two dogs when we got married and I came into the game with no clue about dogs at all. I remember one Christmas I was filling stockings for my niece and nephew and one of the dogs got into some of the chocolate. I did the same thing as you and ran to the computer. I was so scared I watched that dog like a hawk for 12 hours, but everything was fine.

Unfortunately, we lost both of the dogs. One died from old age 2 weeks before Alex was born and the other died from an undiagnosed heart defect 3 days before Olivia was born. Eric told me we had to either stop having kids or stop owning dogs.

The kids I can handle. I don't much know if I could handle another dog though. :)

Karen said...

This is so funny. I can't believe you can google, "My dog ate a Kit Kat bar". I guess you could google, "My dog ate a Snickers bar" or "My dog ate a Charleston Chew" too.

Yes, I think you are ready for a dog. Just keep some of that special doggy chocolate in the desk cubby. Dogs enjoy thinking they are pulling one over on you.

Make sure you tell hubby it's special doggy chocolate. :)

Susan said...

Love the Pepper antics! Been there done that and 2 $300 trips to the vets. I am sure you will need a few days to rest. Hugs

Denise said...

As you know Boo has me up and down letting him in and out, it drives me crazy at times. I honestly wouldn't rush in to getting a pup, just think of it as being a grandma (not that you're that old) ;-) they are nice to have but even nicer to give back!
Off to Piano lesson with Kiki this morning, might see you around later today.
Love ya
xxxxx

daisy said...

Oh. my. goodness! I'm cracking up! You poor thing.

This reminds me of when our Brittany Spaniel Max knocked a pan of brownies on the floor and ate the WHOLE thing. He lived. But he was laying in the corner, groaning in his sleep for a while.

With the advent of grandkids in my life, I'm starting to realize how nice it is to not be the responsible party all the time. I love just being able to play with the kids. I think pets are going to be the same way. I'm realizing how much I enjoy other people's animals--the ones I am not responsible for!

Anonymous said...

Pepper sounds like high maintenance! ha. How many more days till your sister comes back?

Kat said...

Hi Sue that's a cute dog story about Pepper. I'm glad he did not get sick from the kit kat bar. Speaking of candy I just wrote a poem called Candy Bars so this was funny to me to read this post today. LOL! enjoyed it very much. Is anyone every really ready for a dog or a baby? I was just telling my mom last night and I never told her this before, that after I had my kids about a week later I wanted them to go back in my belly! LOL! I was always to ashamed to say that for some reason until last night. They were so easy to care for in there. I got over that after about three weeks, I think I was really scared of them and never wanted to tell anyone about my baby experiences before. If you can take care of a baby then you can have a dog and visa versa. Have a great weekend sweets. big hugs

Leah said...

I love little doggies! When I was a kid, my dog Alfie would always get into our candy stashes. His favorite?...bubblegum!!
Thanks for always being such a faithful commenter on my blog. It's nice to have a sweet blog friend like you!

Megan said...

LOL Oh the joys of puppy sitting! Haha! =)