Friday, September 20, 2013

Life Lessons Learned from Rhoda Morgenstern

Remember Mary Tyler Moore's neighbour, Rhoda?  The brassy New Yorker with the crazy little Mother and the unseen doorman, Charleton?  Sister Brenda who went on to become Marge Simpson?  (I digress...)

"The Mary Tyler Moore Show"

Rhoda was a strong, independent woman with a lot of sass.  Valerie Harper, the actress who played Rhoda wasn't too far from that herself.  This brassy woman with a fighter's spirit has become the poster girl for inner strength and undeniable joy, despite facing death in the face and giving it a big ole raspberry Pffft. 

Last night Hubby and I watched the NBC special by Meredith Vieira on Valerie's brave struggle with terminal brain cancer.  Diagnosed in January of this year, Valerie was given 3-6 months to live.  Not taking the news lying down (literally or figuratively), Valerie, 74 yrs young and her adorable husband of 26 years, Tony have fought valiantly against the disease and so far have been successful.

What really struck me as I watched this special was the attitude of positivity and sheer JOY that Valerie exudes each day, despite the chemo treatments, feeling run down and looking death in the face.  Even while standing in a cemetery picking her "lakefront real estate" for her gravesite, Valerie found peace and joy.  Her concerns were not for herself but for her beloved husband and daughter who will be left behind.  

I was amazed!  This firecracker of a woman has even taken on the challenge this Fall of joining Dancing with the Stars.  She has chosen to live her life to the full, despite her diagnosis and embrace the days she has left, no matter how many or few they may be.

KELSEY MCNEAL/ABC

I am inspired by her courage.  Her strength.  Her tenacity.  Her JOY.  I don't know if Valerie knows Jesus as her Saviour.  From watching the interview I would doubt it, but I don't know that for sure.  What I do know is that the attributes she has shown through this incredible adversity in her life, is how I would want to embrace life when the storms come and knock me off my feet.  More often than I care to share I find myself allowing emotions and struggles (minor struggles) to blow me over and steal my joy.  But I want my life to be defined by JOY.  I want people to look at me and be inspired.  Not by my own courage.  Oh no!  I want them to see Jesus shining through me.  I want them to know that my joy, my peace, my strength comes from the One who paid it all for me.  The One who is preparing a mansion for me in Heaven.  The One who will one day call me home.  Oh how I long for Him to say, "Well done good and faithful servant!".

My prayer today is that Valerie and her family would know Jesus.  That they would know that the strength, the peace and the joy she has comes from a Higher Power.  It comes from the One who made her and has numbered her days. God bless you Valerie.  I will be cheering you on as you dance and as you kick cancer's butt!  I hope your days are many and your joy becomes complete!


4 comments:

~Pam~ said...

Hi Sue!
I love Valerie Harper and I too watched this great documentary! Valerie is such a inspiration.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.
HUGS

Susan said...

Hi Sue, I took the chance to see if you posted and you did. It was a good post. I miss you blogging and visits. Hubby and I are watching SWTS and Survivor together along with Hawaii Five 0 and Blue Bloods. Take care.

Jules said...

Hi Sue,
She is a beautiful woman and an inspiration for all of us. I could only hope that if I am ever faced with a situation like that, that I could stand up to it.

I hope you are having a terrific week! Hugs

Tammy said...

Hi Sue. It's good to see you blogging again. I hope you have a blessed weekend. Hugs.