As you know that the past year I've been embarking on a new, exciting career that combines my passion for travel with a tiny amount of income. I LOVE my job as a travel consultant and one of the "perks" of the job is getting the opportunity to check things out in order to recommend clients, also known as "FAM" trips (or familiarization trips). In late September I went to Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic on my very first FAM … and LOVED IT!
Hubby was travelling on his own business trip so I invited my niece, "S" to join me. We flew away on Air Canada Rouge to the sunny beaches of Arena Gorda in Punta Cana where we stayed at the lovely Iberostar Bavaro resort.
![]() |
| Heading to "work" Monday Morning |
My work days were a few hours of site inspection those first 3 mornings, leaving the afternoon for other "research"… like enjoying the resort amenities!
| Doing "research" on the beach |
We enjoyed a massage on the beach, tried different a'la carte restaurants, numerous "fruity" drinks… all in the name of my job! On Thursday, we took an excursion so we could check out what my clients might like to do while in Punta Cana. We chose the Caribbean Festival where we boarded a pirate ship that took us swimming with nurse sharks and stingrays and snorkelling in the open waters.
The rest of the week was just R&R although my brain still couldn't stop "researching". I would accost strangers at other resorts to ask questions about where they were staying. I'd chat up people by the swim-up bar about their vacations past and present. I would network with other agents from the U.S. A travel agent's work is never done!!
I was only home about 10 days before Hubby and I hopped in the car to make our way South to NC to my niece's wedding. We were honoured to be asked to read 1 Corinthians 13 at their ceremony and then were honoured to help my sister and her Hubby (parents of the bride) in getting the reception hall ready (and unready afterwards). It was a LOT of work but it was a blessing. God has allowed me to tick another "Mom" thing off my list as I married off one of my "kids"!
![]() |
| Hubby & Me w/ Newlyweds ~ Sister Love |
After the wedding we joined my Sister and her Hubby's family for a week (not quite a full week for us) at the Outer Banks. Hubby & I were celebrating our 19th wedding anniversary on the Tuesday so instead of staying at the beach house with all of them, we had opted to get hotels where we could have privacy (wink wink). On the Wednesday, we rallied the troops (or as many as wanted to join us) and we went on a Wild Horse Adventure Tour into the dunes of the Outer Banks of North Carolina, just north of Corolla, NC. It was amazing as we 4-wheeled our way in the tour Hummer and self-driven Jeeps over the sand dunes to find the wild horses that roam the beaches.
![]() |
| A Collage of our time in the Outer Banks |
![]() |
| Lighthouse in Corolla, NC |
Although it's been a busy month of travelling, I feel so blessed by all that God's allowed me to do and see. It's actually kind of nice to slow down though. Maybe my brain will catch up with me now and I can get back to blogging more regularly again! Until next time...







2 comments:
Hi Sue, just came her by chance and saw that you posted. I wish you would tag me when you do because I sure enjoy your post. Sounds like you are having a fun working vacation. We will be up your way next Oct.
We are in the planning stages, but our last stop will be Niagra falls. We plan to fly out of Canada. We are thinking of a 2 week trip.
God willing it all works out. My dad left all of us money after he dies. He was so generous. Lots of pics of my family at my blog. Take care.
That looks like an amazing week of work!! How do I sign up for that:) You all have been busy traveling. Looks like you've had lots of fun!
Post a Comment