Friday, July 12, 2013

Joy in the Job!

I was in the office today for a double shift, from 9:30-5pm (which actually turned into 6pm).  It started out a pretty slow day with only one real task on my agenda, but as usually happens when I get there, the day takes on a mind of it's own.

I had intended to put together a package for my clients who leave the end of August for an Alaskan cruise.  I had purchased a small travel journal to give to my client so she could take notes of their journey as they prepare to leave their daughter in Vancouver after the cruise so she can start college at the University of British Columbia.  I packed wrapping paper, ribbon and the journal into my work bag and I came home this afternoon with it all exactly as I'd taken it.  (Oh well... tomorrow is another day!).

What thwarted my efforts of a quiet day were phone calls from friends and family asking for help in booking flights and hotels to the sunny South.  It's the phone calls and "interruptions" that make this job so enjoyable and interesting.  Just as I began doing one thing, another call would come in and task A would be laid aside for a few minutes while task B took precedence for awhile.

As I was getting ready to start thinking about packing up for the day I received a phone call from Expedia.ca with a potential cruise client on the other end.  Thoughts of going home were laid aside as I tried to navigate this woman towards a spectacular European cruise vacation.  Once I got as much accomplished as I could, I finally packed up my computer, called home and told Hubby and The Niece (who is living with us for the summer) that I was FINALLY on my way home for dinner!

By the time I arrived home from the whirlwind of a day, I was so pumped that my mind and mouth were running a mile a minute.  Hubby took my hand at the dinner table and said to me, "Breathe!" which I did... before blathering more about my busy day.

During my evening, dear friends who I'd booked on a WDW Resort vacation started posting pictures on Facebook of their day at Magic Kingdom.  Seeing their smiling faces enjoying their first visit to the Happiest Place on Earth brought tears to my eyes and joy to my heart.  Like a proud Mama I ate up each and every picture.  THIS is why I do this job!!  (It sure isn't for the paycheque!).  About an hour or so after the pictures appeared, another friend called, who had just arrived home Monday from the WDW Resort vacation I'd booked for them.  With enthusiasm and excitement she shared about the amazing time they enjoyed at Disney World.  Again I was overwhelmed with joy at the blessing this job can be to both me and the clients I help.

The clock has just turned to "tomorrow" as I close up this day and I am reminded once again of God's blessing on my business.  I never dreamed when I started this dream job a year ago that I would love it as much as I do.  Never before have I had a job that I found it hard to leave at the end of the day... but leave it I must... until tomorrow (or later today) because this lady needs some rest!


No comments: