Thursday, January 5, 2012

Thankful Thursday ~ January 5, 2012

In my quest to blog regularly in 2012, what better way to blog on a Thursday than joining some of my blogging buddies reflecting on God's goodness with a meme.  So...  here is what I'm thankful for this Thursday:






Today, I am thankful for my chiropractor!  At age 21, as my Mom and I innocently drove on a familiar 2 lane road on our way to a doctor's appointment, my physical well-being and future were altered.  At the time of the head-on collision, thanks to the woman driving on our side of the road, Mom had the brunt of injuries - a 22-stitch gash in her head and cuts on her legs and arms.  If not for the angels protecting us that day, Mom's life could have been snuffed out that sunny September morning in the early 80s but as God's grace would have it, the steering wheel came in and sat on the seat between us instead of crushing Mom.  My injuries were much less visible, although they would remain with me in some ways for the rest of my life.

At the time I experienced deep internal bruising in my left shoulder area which rendered my left arm useless for weeks.  It's funny the little things we take for granted in life, such as sleeping on one side.  For over a month I couldn't lie in any position except my back, which caused my feet to go numb in my sleep.  I am reminded as I write to be grateful for that fetal position I will sleep in tonight!

A year after our accident I began complaining of a numbness in my fingers and toes.  My Mom found a brochure at the chiropractor's office soon after which described almost verbatim my complaints.  The finding... whiplash.  It didn't show up for a long time because the other injuries I experienced masked it.  Funny too that at the hospital that day no one checked me for whiplash - Hmm...

Today, 30 some odd years later I still suffer with issues from that fateful morning.  This Christmas I suffered through with pain as my back went into spasm over the holidays.  This morning I made a much-needed visit to my chiropractor who, like all the kings horses in Humpty Dumpty, tried to put me back together again.  Some relief has come, but I know it's temporary in this life.

So, as I think about my Thankful Thursday today, I am thankful for so much:

  • I'm thankful that God spared Mom's and my life that day, especially since I was still in full-on rebellious mode
  • I'm thankful that I wasn't injured more seriously that day and that I still have mobility (although the older I get the less it seems)
  • I'm thankful that I am able to sleep on my side, my back (and even occasionally my stomach... which I know isn't a good position but sometimes ya just gotta!)
  • I'm thankful for the gifting of my chiropractor, particularly his method (the torque method) which doesn't require him to twist my neck with "manual" manipulation
  • I'm thankful for the relief I feel from today's treatment


What are you thankful for this Thursday?

2 comments:

Tammy said...

Hi my friend! :-)
You have been a very busy girl. I hope you have the opportunity to relax for a few days now and let your back rest. My circadian rhythms are all jacked up from vacation. I think it will take me a few days to get back on Central Time, lol. I love you and miss you and hope to chat with you soon! xo

Jess :) said...

I'm SO thankful that He spared your lives that day, too. Oh my goodness...I never knew that. How scary.

I'm also thankful for the fact that the Lord has allowed my sis, Kyle, and the kids to be SO very close to us again. Such a wonderful blessing to have them back home!!

And...beyond thankful for ALL of my prayer warriors - YOU, my dear friend, being one - who are always there to listen and pray.

Just one of the many reasons why I love and adore you so!