The following year, a young single woman in our small group at church, had lost her Mom of cancer. I didn't really know her but I now knew the black hole of grief and so I offered to spend her first Mother's Day with her, taking her down to Niagara-on-the-Lake, a quaint village just west of Niagara Falls, Ontario. She was delighted to have a diversion from her grief which was fresh and we enjoyed a day of lunch, strolling the shops and meeting her parents' favorite artist, Trisha Romance at her gallery. It was a very special day and I was glad to help her through the hardest one.
After my Dad remarried in 2007, Mother's Day had "life" again as my Step-Mom filled some of that gap left from my Mom's absence. I didn't expect that at all and at first felt like I was cheating on my Mom but as I reflected on where my Mom was and what she was doing (in Heaven), I'm sure she wouldn't mind me showering love on G.
This year, after our time with my family on Friday night at the play and DQ, hubby and I spoiled his Mom for Mother's Day. Hubby BBQ'd a delicious feast of salmon, ribs and steak for dinner with grilled veggies and pastry treats for dessert. He picked his Mom up a lovely plant and brought me home a gorgeous arrangement of flowers from "the boys".

My "Boys" and my MD flowers
Now for those of you just getting to know me, may I clarify? I am not delusional... okay, maybe just a little. These 3 Snoopy dogs are our "children" so to speak. As God shut the door to both having our own children and to adoption, these 3 little stuffed dogs filled a huge void in both hubby's and my lives. They became our travel mascots, our "boys" and a strange, small little way for us to feel "normal" amidst the different-ness of our life. We KNOW they aren't real. Honest! They just add a little fun into our lives and we've now sucked most of our family and a lot of friends into our little delusion. Wanna join us?
Anyhoo... back to "real" life... Hubby's Mom spent the weekend. We watched movies Sat night and Hubby made us a French Toast breakfast Sunday morning. We spent the Mother's Day puttering about enjoying one another's company. I think Mom H had a great celebration!
Although I haven't had a ton of time to sit quietly and reflect on my Mom this Mother's Day weekend, I often think of my Mom, remembering what a great woman she was. She left behind so much of her in each of her 6 kids and although her body wore out long before it's time, the legacy of love and inner beauty she beheld will carry on through her children and grandchildren for years to come. I still miss her greatly, but I am so thankful that she is out of pain and with her Lord! What more could any of us want for our loved ones?
So as we put Mother's Day 2009 in the history books, I leave you with my favorite picture of my Mom in memory of what a great Mom she was to me and my siblings. We love and miss you Mom! See you someday!
Anyhoo... back to "real" life... Hubby's Mom spent the weekend. We watched movies Sat night and Hubby made us a French Toast breakfast Sunday morning. We spent the Mother's Day puttering about enjoying one another's company. I think Mom H had a great celebration!
Although I haven't had a ton of time to sit quietly and reflect on my Mom this Mother's Day weekend, I often think of my Mom, remembering what a great woman she was. She left behind so much of her in each of her 6 kids and although her body wore out long before it's time, the legacy of love and inner beauty she beheld will carry on through her children and grandchildren for years to come. I still miss her greatly, but I am so thankful that she is out of pain and with her Lord! What more could any of us want for our loved ones?
So as we put Mother's Day 2009 in the history books, I leave you with my favorite picture of my Mom in memory of what a great Mom she was to me and my siblings. We love and miss you Mom! See you someday!



12 comments:
What a beautiful post sweetie, and gorgeous picture of your Mom. I hope you have that one framed :-) You look so like her too.
I'm trying to do some 'normal' stuff today, like laundry and pick up K later, but will still take it slow.
Thinking of you and sending big hugs.
xxxx
I cry easily these days...I miss my mom more than words can convey. Thank you for putting my thoughts and emotions into words for me...A big hug from me to you....
PS...I am very sure our moms are thrilled we have met. :o) One day, we will all be together again.
Your Mom was a beautiful woman. I lost my Mom almost 7 years ago and it's strange not having her. M oldest brought flowers to the cemetery without even being asked. I thought that was a lovely gesture on her part. My kids deeply miss their Grammie.
I love your snoopy kids!!!
Hello Sue, what a special mother's day weekend. I can imagine that you miss your mom even more on Mother's day. It's such a sweet idea to have "the boys" I'm sure it's helped you & Doug deal with the way things are. How sweet of Doug to help the boys get you flowers.
I hope your week is starting well, big hugs
What a great post.
You so beautifully share your heart!
God has truly blessed you in your Love for Him!
As for the Wii - I would suggest it for ANYONE of ANY age. There are SOO many fun things to do with beyond the 'kids games'. Actually I use it the most out of everyone in our house. We also have a family bowling night every once in awhile. It's a lot of fun!
What a great photo of your mom. Such a sweet post too. I love your "boys". So cute!
My hubby told me "Chewy says 'Happy Mother's Day'". =)
I'm glad to hear you had a nice weekend with your family and with Doug's. That is really a lovely photo of your mother. Thanks for sharing your post with everyone. I always love seeing photos of your "boys".
Also, thanks for mentioning about that pressure bandage thing. I must remember to ask my mother about it.
Wishing you a wonderful week ahead!
Andee
I think if we lived in the same city, we would be famous friends! I lost my Mom a few years ago, and we have no children, so I have been avoiding the day. My hubby always makes it a special day and our furry kids (our dog Lucy and our cats Chloe & Britches) always give me a card and gift. Your flowers are beautiful and your "boys" are very handsome! ; D
What a beautiful post, and what a beautiful person you must be to lend yourself and your comfort to a newly grieving sister in Christ!
I'm so glad you stopped by Peppermint Place. Otherwise, I would've never learned the best place to get lemonade!
Hi Sue! Your mom was lovely and you give her such a wonderful tribute not only by your love for her but your willingness to open your heart and accept other mom figures and also by helping another thru the loss of her mother.
My FIL and his girlfriend (of 35 years- length of time they've been together) have "The Boyz" who travel everywhere with them in their 5th Wheel. They photograph them everywhere and well, same kinda thing you have going on. So I know exactly where you're coming from on that one! :) (((Hugz)))
Hi Sue! Your mom was stunning. How sweet of you to help another during their loss! God is smiling because of your kind heart. Your flowers are beautiful! ((BIG HUGS))
Your mom was beautiful and she just looks like she was an awesome mom. Also, your "boys" are very sweet. :)
Post a Comment