Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Dare to Find Joy ~ Day One

So many of my friends, both online and in my face-to-face world have mentioned the book One Thousand Gifts, by Ann Voskamp.  Ann is a gifted writer, farmer's wife and busy mother of six (and also a fellow Canadian/Ontario-dweller).  I bought Ann's book on my Kindle probably about a year ago and started to read it, but in true ADD fashion, I moved on to something else before I finished it, allowing it to fully impact me.  I did however, pick it up last week and started rereading it from the beginning.

My longtime, online buddies, Tania and Jennifer often refer to this book, and Linda, one of my Abide team members sent me an email this morning where I saw this challenge:  The Joy Dare



Now, I recognize that I am 10 days into January so I'm already a week and a half behind, but that's not a big deal in the grand scheme of life.  I figure I can either play "catch up" and double up on entries or I can take my time with it and drag the dare into February.  Time will tell which path I take on that!

The other night, a friend who used to attend our church, asked on Facebook where, outside of her children, is her joy.  She then sent the question out to her FB friends.  As I thought about it, I realized that truly my joy comes from knowing I'm walking close to God, and to be honest, lately my joy has been waning.

I mentioned the other day in my post, after taking down the tree decorations, this: "I'm just reminded as I type those words that sometimes that's how my life feels when I lose the warmth of The Light by replacing it with the stark coldness of the things of this world..."  What I felt at that moment, taking down the warm and sparkly lights is how they so represent the warmth and glow of Jesus in my life.  There is something almost "magical" about how Christmas feels with the lights twinkling and the fresh, green (albeit fake) boughs hanging around the furniture.  This is how it feels inside me when I am walking close to God... an almost mystical, unexplainable feeling of joy and well-being.  I'm not sure if I'm able to articulate what I mean.  But, in contrast, like the sparse feel of the house after the last box has been packed after Christmas, my soul feels empty and barren when the warmth of Jesus has been snuffed out by either my selfishness or distraction away from the things of Him.

When I am living in close communion with Him, living life with a grateful heart my joy bubbles up and over and I have confessed to Him recently (and do so now to all of you), that of late, I have lost that "lovin' feeling".  But... I want it back!  I need it back and that there (in His presence) is where taking this Joy Dare will help.  Wanna join me?

So... that all being said... let's start:  Ann suggested we "snap a photo or record 3 gifts a day" in the Joy Dare.

Day One
3 Things About Myself I'm Grateful For:

My Eyes... (and even the crow's feet around them)
 that can see the beauty of God's creation around me...
(and tell of the joy that I've experienced)

  
My feet... that carry me to the 
masterpiece places (like the ocean's sands
and mundane places of life


My Hands... that give me opportunities 
to create and connect with life around me

What are 3 things about yourself are you grateful for today?

1 comment:

Tammy said...

I just started reading Ann's blog recently. Maybe seeing her book in so many places is a sign to me to start reading it, too? I may have to look into downloading it to my Kindle, too. Love ya! xo