Friday, January 13, 2012

Adventures in Buffalo... and Joy Dare Day 4

I didn't even wait for the alarm to go off this morning!  It had been one of those nights of "awareness" during my sleep while I awaited the alarm.  My brain was ready to get going before the sound of my phone alarm so I got up at 5am and quickly got ready.  My friend, "L" was coming to pick me up at 6am.  We had an "adventure" to take care of in Buffalo (Niagara Falls, NY to be precise!)

This morning wasn't exactly the perfect morning for an adventure 90 minutes south to the land of winter and snow, but it was an adventure not to be missed.  You see, while over the border on Monday, an unfortunate incident happened for "L".  Her purse was stolen in Target (fortunately it was recovered as were almost all her possessions).  She had to return this morning to see the DA at the court house.  Not knowing what to expect, she asked if I was free to join her on her journey.  I gladly obliged, particularly because I had sensed God wanted me to join her (and I never need an excuse to want to go across the border!!)

What made our adventure even more exciting this morning was the fact that we drove down in our first major snowfall of the year.  The conditions were nowhere near ideal, but with much prayer covering us, and "L"s expert driving skills, we arrived in just over 2 hours.  We got turned around on the streets a bit and finally made it to the court house with lots of time to spare and we ended up sitting there for almost 2 hours waiting for "L" to be called in to speak to the DA.  Her time with the DA was a brief 5-10 minute chat and then we were on our way... back to Target, Tops (for my fav Bigelow French Vanilla tea that I can't buy at home) and Olive Garden for lunch.

By the time we head home at around 2pm, the weather had improved, the roads cleared and the drive was much less stressful (that is until poor "L's" eyes got weary from the early morning and long day and took a quick 'nap' before jolting awake in surprise).  It was a super fun day for what could have been a super stressful time for "L".  God was beyond gracious in giving us safety on the highways and bi-ways and it was a super fun bonding time... which brings me to my Day 4 of the Joy Dare:

Today's challenge is:  one gift old, one gift new, one gift blue.

This weekend as it begins for me is about spending time with friends and that is my something old and something new for today's Joy Dare.

PA is my oldest, and dearest friend.  We met in 7th grade youth group at church and have been besties ever since.  We are more like sisters than friends and I treasure the relationship God has blessed us with through the ups and downs, twists and turns of life.  To have a friend is a gift... to have a lifelong friend is a treasure!

PA & Little Miss H
My oldest and dearest friendship
and her beautiful daughter she shares with me!

L is a newer gift in my life.  Although I've known her for many of our years at our current church, it has only been in the past year and half that our friendship has been blossoming.  L & I work together on leadership of Abide and today, we had our first "big adventure" as girlfriends!  I value this new friendship as we learn from one another and we enjoy laughter and ministry together.  God is so good in bringing new friends into our lives to bless us on life's road!

"L", my "new" friend and co-minister in Abide

My something "blue" gift for today was a lot more difficult to figure out.  I wandered around my home thinking about what something "blue" I could add.  What I realized, sitting her just now that my "blue" gift isn't something you can hold in your hands, but rather a place.  My gift of "blue" is here - my dining room!

My "blue" dining room
I chose my dining room because it is in some ways the heart of my home.  It is where Hubby & I entertain guests, have deep meaningful conversations around the table and create culinary treats (especially when I'm baking since my kitchen counter top area is small).  I am so grateful for the gift of this room and it's furniture and all this room represents!

I dare you to think of the new, old and blue gifts that bring you JOY today!

2 comments:

Denise said...

Glad everything worked out well for you gals. What a blessing your many friendships are :-)
Have a great weekend sweetie
x x x

Tammy said...

Beautiful post, Sue! It's neat how God allows us to maintain our oldest friendships, even when life gets busy and the members drift apart for a time. I'm so glad that He keeps bringing US back together. Love you! xo