It was a somewhat normal day, despite dropping Hubby off for yet another trip. I spent the morning playing "hookie" from church as I slept in after an early morning and spending peaceful quiet time with Jesus, working on Abide homework. Fleeting thoughts of Hubby in the air popped in my head but just as quickly they popped back out as I focused on God and praising Him in the Psalms.
Thanks to a wonderful new app from United Airlines, throughout the day I was able to track Hubby's flights, knowing exactly where he was over the vast mid-western States. His plane from Chicago to Austin was delayed but that being the norm I didn't think much of it. Instead, without a care in the world, I spent a quiet beautiful sunshiny Fall day, working on my blog and enjoying an "emergency" walk to the top of the street for Diet Coke.
I just got off the phone a few minutes ago with Hubby and to my shock (and utter terror) his plane made an emergency crash landing at the Austin airport. Apparently, 30 minutes into their flight the crew informed the passengers that their transportation had no brakes. Great! Hubby told me that for a good portion of the flight the passengers were being trained on crash landing procedures. Man... I knew it was important to listen to those flight attendants at the start of the flight. Hubby spent time thinking about life and even though he felt "ready" to meet his Maker, he also had time to think of what's important in life and what he still would like to accomplish in this life.
Never one to miss an opportunity, Hubby was able to pray and comfort the Christian man sitting next to him on the flight. The man, recently battling prostate problems, wondered why God would spare his life, only to take him down in a plane crash. Fortunately, that was NOT God's plan! Together the men praised God for the safe, albeit nail-biting landing that took their plane to the very end of the long runway.
My reaction to hearing all of this was tears of fear and gratefulness: Fear because I woke this morning with a fleeting thought of Hubby's safety only to find it was indeed threatened plus the fact that Hubby still needs to fly home on a United airplane; and gratefulness because God didn't take Hubby from me.
This really causes me to think of the importance of taking nothing for granted. Each day we're given is a gift from God and I thank Him for sparing my Hubby's life and giving those pilots the wisdom and skill to land safely this afternoon!
Is there something you're taking for granted these days?


4 comments:
Hi Sue, I wrote out a long message and hit the wrong button and lost it all. So glad Doug is ok! PTL! I have missed you at the circle. Please drop in for a high. Doug will be ok coming home. I sometimes think God allows things like this to happen to draw people's attention. I am glad Doug could comfort his fellow traveler. How are things going with Adide? Love you pic. Big hugs!
OOPS, wrong kind of hi :)
Sue! I had tears reading this! Praise the Lord Doug is alright, what an experience!
I couldn't help think of something though as I read a part of what you wrote. While you were taking time to faithfully seek God, and praise Him, isn't it just like the enemy to try and sneak in to steal that moment with fear.
Thankfully, we serve a God who is not a God of fear, but of peace... and your faithfulness of not giving in to that fear, shrugging it off and continuing in your time of praise, it no coincidence to the praise report that all was well.
He rewards us for our diligence and trust in Him. Your first reactive thought during the next "gut feeling" may be to remember that the previous gut feeling was on to something... but instead, remind the enemy that you serve an awesome God that inhabits the praises of His people... and praise Him through it!
Love you guys!!
PS - SO glad to see you back to blogging! I missed you!
Oh my goodness! I'm so glad he's ok. What a crazy thing. I can't imagine being in his or your shoes! I'm just glad everyone is ok!
Post a Comment