Friday, September 23, 2011

Can It Really Be Fall, Already?

Oh ya... it's me... the terrible, horrible, no good blogger.  I am ashamed that it's almost been 2 months since my last post.  It's like I fell off the blogging bandwagon somehow, but nevertheless, here I am to "try" and catch you up on what I've been up to since my last post.

How to update you on a summer filled with 3 weddings (2 family ones), a wonderful week in Northern California (which I blogged a little about & teased that pictures were coming), a bedroom redo and other odds and ends.  Hmmm... I'll start I guess where I left off in ... (cough, sputter) July!

Yep... July... back when we got home from our trip to the San Francisco/Sonoma/Napa Valley regions.  Hubby had another of his bi-annual business trips to California and I tagged along as usual.  Our first day we arrived we met up with my wonderful Southern California buddy, Doralee and her beautiful and sweet daughter, Kalea.  They were in San Francisco for a mother-daughter weekend the same weekend we arrived so we met up & did a tour together.




We had a blast, snapping pictures around the beautiful city of San Francisco and enjoyed a delicious late dinner at a little Greek restaurant just outside of Chinatown.  Hubby and I were up a total of 22 hours by the time our head hit the pillows the next morning.

We stayed overnight downtown for the first time and had a gorgeous room at the Hilton Financial District.  Our room had a spectacular view and even the "boys" enjoyed themselves on the outdoor patio:


We spent the early part of the week back in our "usual" hotel near the airport, and when Hubby's work was done later in the week, we head up to wine country for some wine-tasting and R&R.  On our first day we visited Sonoma County and took a wine tour at Benzinger winery.  I'd researched our trip and had decided on this winery because they offered a tram tour of the vines.  Fun, huh?!  I found out later that one of the final 2 bachelors on the current season of ABC's The Bachelorette made his wine out of this winery.  A "serendipitous" surprise I thought!  Although we didn't see him in the fields or around the winery, it was still neat to be there.  On that tour we did meet a lovely couple from Kentucky who we chummed around with on the tour and decided to check out another wine tasting room we'd gotten coupons for from the Benziner winery staff.  We head from Benzinger's over to Imagery Estate Winery and tasted multiple types of their best samplings... for free!  Patti, one of our new friends, was selecting some cheese and crackers at the wine tasting room coolers, while we chose one of our favorite Imagery wines to share for an improptu picnic on the patio.  The men had gone outside to wait for us and while we were still in the tasting room, who should walk in but... Ben F from The Bachelorette.  I was FLOORED.  I ran to tell Hubby and he promptly came in and asked Ben if I could get a picture with him (this of course is after I stalkarrzied him by taking numerous bad pictures of him).

Ben F and me

I was so "star-struck" by Ben that I was completely mute and he had to carry on a conversation with me (which consisted of a simple introductions and Hubby conversing with him while I stood smiling in shock).  SO embarrasing!

We enjoyed our picnic on the patio after the photo op was over and took Jim and Patty's email information.  We ended up messaging them later that night, inviting them to join us in Napa the next day to explore the Sterling winery.  They were totally up for it!


It was a great tour and time with our new friends.  They had to head south to Modesto to pick up their kids on their way back to Kentucky, but we stayed in Napa for the afternoon and toured a couple other wineries.  The next day, our last full day in California, we head to downtown Santa Rosa (the home of the late Charles Schulz) where we picked up a new "family member" ~ Belle:



before heading up to our last winery of the visit ~ Kendall Jackson.  Here we enjoyed a delicious wine and cheese tasting that was beyond our expectations.


It was a fantastic time and we brought home some amazing wines to enjoy on special occasions but soon we were back to life at home.

While Hubby was away on business in early August, I got to work in repainting our master bedroom.  We were tired of the old look and had found a beautiful "tropical" bedspread down at Bed, Bath & Beyond in March.  We still have yet to finish our ensuite (and take pictures of our redone walk-in closet) but here's a peek at the before and after pics I took while Hubby was away:



Because of family weddings this summer (and Hubby's hectic work life), I spent my birthday at home this year.  I usually like to "escape" but being home this year was actually pretty great.  I woke up to and enjoyed throughout the day a massive amount of facebook birthday wishes and Hubby made me a yummy French Toast breakfast.  We spent the afternoon lounging by the pool and friends surprised me with a visit and we shared some birthday cake together.  Later, Hubby and I went off to the movies.  It was one of my best birthdays!

That weekend was the first of 2 nepehews' weddings.  My sister from NC was up alone for this wedding and she stayed with us a few days.  I took full advantage of her being here and we shopped for some room accents for our tropical oasis.  I haven't taken pics of them yet but will do so for a later post!

At G & J's wedding, Hubby was asked to be the emcee and it was a super fun day and such a delight to see my nephew and his young bride exchange their vows.  The speeches at this wedding were all so touching ... and hilarious! We really should have had them on tape!

Hubby and I with the Bride and Groom

Three weeks later we were all dolled up again for my oldest nephew's wedding.  Hubby had been asked to read Scripture at the ceremony which was another great honor for him (and indirectly to me).  This wedding was fun too and so elegant - they even had white gloved, tuxedo'd men escort us to our dining tables.  FANCY!  It was wonderful to have almost our entire family there to celebrate.  The only one missing was our dear Step-mom, who is back in Florida battling ovarian cancer.  

My Extended Family

The month of September has been flying by.  I'm back to being busy with Abide (our church ladies' group) and my 19 year old great-niece has moved in with us while she attends college.  Hubby's still crazy busy at work but life is good and I feel incredibly blessed in my life.  

I promise to try and be a better (and less wordy) blogger in the future, but now you're up to date!


4 comments:

Denise said...

Wow girl, you sure have a busy and fun life going on. Mine pales in comparison :-/
It was lovely catching up with you.
Hugs
Xxxx

Jennifer Emmert said...

Welcome back Sue! Glad you enjoyed a wonderful summer!!

Love ya!!

Susan said...

Finally all caught up. Congrats and welcome to your newest member Belle! You will have to give more detail on that. I will tell Joanie for sure. Hugs

Abby said...

So glad you're back! I love the color in your bedroom:)