My last post was written on the eve of my big San Marcos Outlets shopping day with Denise, one of my online besties! Denise and I have known each other for almost 8 years now and have had the absolute joy of meeting up (and enjoying her incredible hospitality) 4 times now - our first visit when she & her family lived in MD, and 3 times since their move to Texas. Denise had never been to the San Marcos outlets (which are about a 90 minute drive from her home... and where 75% of my wardrobe has been purchased thanks to Hubby's great shopping skills). We had a BLAST shopping and walking over 5 miles (burning 300 calories which made our ice cream break "guilt free").
Here we are in the outlet parking lot,
getting ready to tackle the 2nd half of the massive outdoor malls
It was a fantastic day of catching up and having "girly girl" fun together and not sad at all to say good-bye because Hubby and I would be heading to Denise's place on the weekend to enjoy 4th of July (and Hubby's birthday) with them!
Wednesday night continued our "Eating Out with the Clients" fest... where I again met some wonderful people that Hubby had the pleasure of working alongside at the company he's been auditing and witness-testing in. We went to this neat little restaurant in New Braunfels for dinner that night and after dinner, I thought this would be the perfect spot for my Day 29 picture for my photo challenge. Unfortunately the picture was taken on my iPhone and it's quality lacks severely, but you'll get the idea nonetheless).
Day 29 ~ Trees
Why I chose this blurry picture wasn't so much for capturing us, but for the large tree to our left. The name of the restaurant is Huisache Grill. Huisache, they told us, is the species of large tree that we are standing next to. How appropriate that on Day 29 (Tree day) we were at restaurant named for a tree. Providence I say!!
Thursday, before heading out one last time with friends of Hubby's, I enjoyed a relaxing massage in the hotel spa. Hubby had encouraged me to do so but it wasn't until about an hour prior to my appointment that I had decided to take him up on the offer. SO glad I did!
Friday we checked out of our hotel, on our way up to downtown Austin for the night. Before heading out though, while Hubby worked, I was off to shop, partly in search for birthday gifts for my Birthday Boy (Hubby), but also to grab a few last minute decision items at the outlets. (Got a "Chi" for less than $100 which I thought was a deal).
Friday night, after settling into our hotel room, we wandered the streets of Austin in the 100 degree evening sun. Hubby was on a quest so we literally toured the ENTIRE downtown core (half before dinner; other half later). Here's some pics of our walk:
Rockin' Out in Downtown Austin
For this next picture, Hubby stood in the middle of the street to shoot up towards the Capital building, all while I counted him down on the crosswalk sign: 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 HURRY!!!
Texas Capital Building
After walking for probably two miles (with sweat dripping down my body), we finally reached our dinner destination: Bess Bistro, Sandra Bullock's restaurant.
Located on Sixth St W & San Antonio St
Hubby had the Red Snapper for dinner, while I had the daily special, Fish & Chips which were delicious (and my first french fries I'd had in months).
Hubby with the wine list
After dinner we walked north to the Capital building and then back down the main street and onto 6th Street in the "entertainment" district which was much more ... skanky... than we remembered it a couple years ago.
Sixth Street E is the area where Brad Womack, the lastest "Bachelor" on the ABC Reality tv show co-owns 4 bars. Um... no wonder the guy can't settle down. Ick! Fortunately for your retinal well-being we have no pictures from this little jaunt. Last time we were in Austin, we went to the Dueling Piano bar but we didn't think we could even stomach that this time so we quickly head down another street and back to our hotel. We won't be returning to that area again in the future I can tell you. Blech!
Back at the hotel, while Hubby showered, I quickly decorated our king size bed with a "Happy Birthday" banner as we were on the eve of his 47th birthday. (And just now I'm realizing I should have taken a picture of the banner - DOH!). Hubby was pleasantly surprised and in the morning, before packing up to head north to Denise's, he received the first of his gifts (and NOT what you're thinking... he got a DVD & some really cool Jockey boxers).
Hubby's birthday dinner at Denise, Jason & Kristen's was pizza with a yummy Baskin Robbins' cake for dessert. Denise was fantastic and ordered the cake for me and also picked up Hubby some balloons to make his day even more special!
Make a Wish Sweetheart!
Hubby and his favorite Texas "niece", Kiki
Birthday Boy
Our "boys" had fun in Texas, particularly hanging out in Kristen's bedroom with her menagerie of dogs and wolves...
and hanging out in Kiki's dollhouse:
On Sunday night we went to The Oasis, a popular restaurant north of Austin with breathtaking, majestic sunset views over Lake Travis. Jason's Mom and Step-Dad joined us for dinner too, which brings me to my final Photo Fun Challenge Picture.
Day 30 ~ Family
Denise and her wonderful family!
Our little Family :-)
As lovely as it was up there overlooking Lake Travis, it was also very disheartening to see the effects of the Texas drought on the lake. We had heard on the news that the lake levels were down something like 25' which was hard to understand... until we got to the lake and saw this...
Those little "islands" out there are where the lake has receded and made dry land over what should be covered in water. We need to pray for Texas to receive rain! Constant 100 degree days are taking their toll on everyone and everything!
Around the restaurant is a little piazza with shops, fountains and bronze statues. We couldn't help but have a little fun as we looked around this little courtyard full of interesting sculptures:
See no evil, Hear no evil, Speak no evil!
But what we really came for was the sunset:
Me and my Honey
Denise and her Honey
Girlfriends Forever!
Good Night Mr Sun!
Denise and her Honey
Girlfriends Forever!
While we were snapping all these pictures, just before the sun hit the horizon, Denise and I noticed a young couple at the bottom of the staircase. The young man got down on one knee and pulled out a small box while taking the hand of his girlfriend. Before we know it, a new family was in the making as he asked for his girlfriend's hand in marriage. Denise & I began to applaud and others quickly joined in. Denise decided to hop down the stairs to ask them if they wanted to recreate their moment for a photo so while she took the picture with his iPhone, I took this picture (sorry for the blurry quality... I was rushing!):
Will you Marry Me?
We're not done yet though... we had one more day to enjoy in Texas ~ July 4th! Denise's neighbor (and I'd like to think our new friends) Cheryl and Steve were so kind to let us crash their Fourth of July bash with Denise, Jason and Kiki and their family & friends.
Denise spent the morning in the kitchen prepping for the big party, putting together a gorgeous berry trifle:
Denise spent the morning in the kitchen prepping for the big party, putting together a gorgeous berry trifle:
and these deliciously festive chocolate covered strawberries:
Eventually Kristen and I got in on the action and helped Denise decorate the 4th of July cupcakes:
To get into the American holiday spirit, Denise gifted her Canadian friends (Hubby and me) with our Old Navy holiday tees:
I'm hugging Hubby so you can't see the front of my tee ~ it's just like Denise's
The boys even got in on the festivities of the day:
This was our first "down-home" Fourth of July in the States, although we've been in the U.S. other times for America's birthday. We thoroughly enjoyed our time with Denise's family and friends. Although, because of the drought, there were no fireworks or sparklers allowed, we were still able to enjoy a little "sparkle" in the way of Denise's headband. It was like our own little fireworks show, don't you think?
Thanks again Denise, Jason and Kiki for a wonderful visit! We look forward to our next visit, whether up here in Canada or back at your place in TX! Love you to pieces!!
I apologize for the extra-long post & I hope you were able to stay with me for this long-winded tour.




6 comments:
I love it!! Are you going to put the pics on FB so I can nab them:-) missing you like crazy. Getting back on track today and hope to blog later.
Aw, what a wonderful post!! I loved all the pictures and the tour through your time away with Doug. SO glad you enjoyed the trip!
((HUGS))
It looks like you had a fun trip!! And a perfect time to be in the states for the 4th:)
Sue, thank you for sharing your wonderful time with all of us! I LOVED the pictures! Looks like Denise was a wonderful hostess (which I know she is). Such beautiful pictures! Hugs
HI Sue! Was visiting Denise's blog and reading about your visit so I wanted to come over and visit you as well. My blogging is very infrequent these days, as is my blog visiting. But it was lots of fun to enjoy the trip through your blog posts and Denise's - the pictures were all wonderful! It's so great when long distance friends can get together like this! Thanks for sharing all the fun!
Hugs
Lynn (long lost but always a friend!)
Hi Sue, it's ages since I dropped by but I've just got back into blogging. Loved seeing the pics of your visit with my li'l sis. You all looked to be having a great time. Beautiful pics too.
Post a Comment