Some risks aren't worth it though. For example, earlier this morning I was standing on the sidelines watching my friend's 4 yr old running up and down the soccer field with his little team while the raindrops plopped on our heads from the heavens above. After the first crack of thunder and flashes of lightening, I, along with the mom of #7 on "M's" team, starting feeling uncomfortable about being in an open field with an electrical storm hovering over our heads. The coaches, meanwhile, were oblivious to the weather developments. It was after the second crack of thunder and lightening strike in the distance that the game was called, about 10 minutes in. We quickly gathered our stuff and head back to the SUV where we'd be safe and sound and I took my little charge home to his awaiting Dad, who was dealing with his own issues of a soon-to-be rained out garage sale.
I think it's interesting how different temperaments and personalities approach the idea of risk differently. Some people are gamblers and love the idea of pushing limits and taking huge leaps of faith (sometimes in actuality leaps of foolishness). Others are timid and ultra-conservative and rarely take any risks, with each decision carefully calculated for the least amount of surprise and impact. I think I fit somewhere in the middle.
As I grow older I'm finding that some risks are not worth it. For example, I'm slowly learning that my old pattern of eating makes me at huge risk for severe health problems later in life. That's a risk I'm learning that I don't want to take so I've begun to change my diet and exercise level.
I will risk looking foolish to some, as I did last weekend at my nephew's Stag and Doe, by demonstrating my crazy dance moves. I'm willing to be called immature for letting loose and having fun. I will risk being laughed at (remember the jean incident of last month!). One risk I refuse to take though is spiritually. I'm not willing to risk my faith and therefore I diligently (some days more diligently than others I confess) seek to know and please my Heavenly Father. I won't risk getting to Heaven and having God either ashamed of how I lived my life or worse, not know me at all. That's a risk I can't take. I won't!
How about you? What are some of the risks you will or won't take in your life? If you haven't thought about it recently, I dare you to do so.
In the meantime though, here's my picture for todays
Day 4 ~ Clouds
I'd been hoping for a beautiful sunny day for this day's shot but this is as good as it's going to get today in the area of clouds!
The clouds at the soccer field this morning - pre-lightening storm




2 comments:
I don't take risks with lightning, either! And, I try not to take risks with tornadoes! I've become a little more cautious as I've gotten older. Honestly, I can't think of any risks that I do take now. However, it is late, and my thinker doesn't think as well as it should! I just wanted to stop by and visit. Take care! Storms, these days, scare me.
Take risks? Me? Never!... (said with very thick sarcasm). Shew girl, you know the life Mike and I lead, always trying something new, turning over a new leaf (repeatedly as we jump right into the pile head first), exploring ideas and adventures....
However, I'm in complete agreement with refusing to compromise spiritually. I look forward to the day I hear "well done my good and faithful servant"... the possibility of not hearing that is the one risk I refuse to take!
By the way, I love your story-telling ability in your posts (that sometimes allows little giggles to me the reader). You put me right there with you in your moment, and it's amazing how you get me right into your mind to understand your points as you go. Thanks for sharing dear heart :)
Post a Comment