But they delight in the law of the LORD, meditating on it day and night. (Psalm 1:2 NLT)This was the verse that started off my morning. They, from verse one being those "who do not follow the advice of the wicked, or stand around with sinners, or join in with mockers", delight in God's laws (or His Word) and they meditate on it day and night. Meditate on it. Meditate... "to engage in thought or contemplation".
As I read this Psalm first thing this morning, a wave of conviction wafted passed my spirit. How often do I actually meditate on the verses I read each morning. With shame and honesty I admitted to myself (and now to all of you) that I don't often enough take time to chew on the words I'm reading in my daily quiet time. The deep desire of my heart would be to do so, but yet in the flurry of the day, I read and run. Quiet-time quickies seem to be my norm rather than the exception.
I truly can't blame anyone or anything other than my own selfishness and lack of self-discipline, but I'd like to. I'd like to blame technology for making me an expert "multi-tasker" which I think is honestly more a case of ADD now. I flit from one thing to another like a bee looking for pollen. One minute I'm sitting reading God's Word and simultaneously I'm thinking about adding my grocery list to my iPhone app. Like a squirming baby, I wriggle my way out of God's lap and on to the next activity.
Jesus' brother, James, in the first chapter of his book in the New Testament confronts this very issue I'm struggling with. In James 1:22-25 he writes:
But don't just listen to God's word. You must do what it says. Otherwise, you are only fooling yourselves. For if you listen to the word and don't obey, it is like glancing at your face in a mirror. You see yourself, walk away and forget what you look like. But if you look carefully into the perfect law that sets you free, and if you do what it says and don't forget what you heard, then God will bless you for doing it.
I don't know about you, but the older I get, the more I want to forget what I look like some days, but I don't think that's what James is talking about. I think he's talking more about the essence of forgetting what we look like... who we are. I think he's saying that it's important to really take a good long look in the mirror at ourselves sometimes (both literally and figuratively) to see what work needs to be done. Is my hair brushed? Is my make-up running down my face? Am I reflecting the Light of Jesus to those around me? Am I more like Jesus today than yesterday?
I am challenged today to take my "multi-tasking" self and really spend some time in God's mirror, taking a good hard look at what He's asking of me and then doing it. How 'bout you?
Part of looking at ourselves is in the physical sense and that coincides with today's "30 Day Photo Fun" photo.
Day 5 ~ Breakfast Today
Mmm ~ Good and Healthy!
As I continue on my 65 "Reshaping It All" challenge, I try and start my day with a healthy breakfast as well as a healthy time with God. This morning I enjoyed a half of a ruby red grapefruit (which Hubby wanted a slice of ... but I made him wait until AFTER my picture was taken!), 1 serving of Special K Oats & Honey cereal with 1/8 cup of All Bran Buds mixed in, with 25 blueberries for extra zip... with 1/2 cup of 1% Natrel milk poured over the flakes. Topping it all off was a cup of my favorite tea, Bigelow French Vanilla... no milk or sugar added... just the delicious flavor of the tea! What did you have for breakfast... physically and spiritually?



2 comments:
Great post. Part of our staff retreat was on meditating and just "being". Not reading and not doing but just being. It was soo hard for me. I had never tried it before I guess. I'm always in such a rush that I forget to just "be" in God's presence! Great reminder to slow down:)
Wow Sue, great post. I enjoyed it, and boy did I need too. I guess you can say I got the same waft of conviction. Now to rededicate myself, yet AGAIN. I am so glad God is patient with me. :)
Progress not perfection. That is what I tell myself.
Love and hugs,
Cindy
BTW, breakfast looks wonderful.
Post a Comment