Yesterday, a dear friend from church came over for a short visit. This woman is one of those people I would never have dreamed that we'd be such fast friends. She's a super quiet, older Asian woman with 2 grown boys. As you can see, we don't have much in "common" (considering I'm a loud, younger, Caucasian woman with no children), yet God, in His amazingly, surprising way, introduced us and we just clicked. Most people don't know that this woman is hilariously funny and absolutely charming because she is like a quiet little church mouse at Abide, yet she has incredible depth, wisdom and an unbelievable gift of prayer and sensing God's voice. For example, remember last week when I was all bummed out with Hubby away and I couldn't function? My friend "sensed" loneliness over me, prayed for me and called to get together to check up on me. How cool is THAT! We all need friends like that, don't we? In fact... we all need to BE friends like that!
As she and I chatted yesterday, I asked her some pointed questions about our ladies' group at church. During this hiatus from Abide I've been doing a lot of soul searching and seeking God on where, as a church group of ladies, we need to be going. One thing that not only came up yesterday, but came up on the weekend when I inquired of another woman from church, is that our ladies' group has the "feeling" of cliquishness. I think I understand where they are coming from because, although we have a small church in numbers (compared to mega-churches of 1000s), there seems to be a spirit of "detachment" or "isolation" amongst people. Hubby and I have struggled with it often in our 14 or so years there - that struggle of trying to fit in. It could be a function of fast-paced, big-city life, but I'm not accepting that as a good enough reason in the Body of Christ. We can do better than that!
So that's where my muddled thoughts are lately. I'm reading, researching and praying about how we, as a leadership team of women, can break this feeling of cliquishness many women are feeling in this area of our ministry and church. I read recently that the heart of any church is the women and women's ministry. Um... no pressure there huh?! With that knowledge, I am more determined in my spirit to bring glory to God and encourage the women of our church into a spirit of unity and strength. One of my big stumbling blocks? Me! Even with a deep-seated passion for ladies, I still get in the way of God doing awesome things. So I ask you, my online buddies... will you pray for me this summer, that God would clear the fog in my head so I can hear clearly from Him on where He wants to lead me in leading the ladies of our congregation into a deeper relationship with Him and one another? Thanks in advance (I know some of you will take up that request and run with it, like my friend I told you about above!).
Now that I've got that off my chest.... back to 30 Day Photo Fun pics... (just for you Jenn!).
Day 22 ~ Landscape
Okay... now I'm really cheating for this photo challenge today! This picture we took last September up in Napa Valley, California. We had gone to the amazing Castello di Amarosa winery... a real castle that you can tour (as well as sample wine!). While on the tour, we found out that Adam Sandler's movie "Bedtime Stories" had a few scenes filmed here. (We of course went home and rewatched the movie to check it out!). This landscape scene is from an outdoor patio looking out over the lush green grapevines. They even let you sample the grapes off the vine - we tried merlot and cabernet grapes - YUM!
Day 23 ~ Black and White
Now this picture I did take today, but I "cheated" in that I made it Black & White after the fact using Paint Shop Pro. I tried to take a B&W picture with the camera but it was either out of focus or over/under exposed. Must learn how to do that better! This little bear sits on our front hall mirror, ready to welcome guests when they visit. His name is 'Scruffy S Beariluved' and he's just one of MANY little furry (stuffed) friends that live in my house.
Okay... I've taken up much too much of your time today so... until next time!





1 comment:
Oooh, I love the landscape picture! Beautiful! I had to get that comment in before getting to the more serious part of my comment.
I've been doing some reading, studying, thinking, praying about different areas of unity within the church as well. As I read your post a song came to mind, that always seems to be on lately...
But if we are the Body
Why aren't His arms reaching
Why aren't His hands healing
Why aren't His words teaching
And if we are the Body
Why aren't His feet going
Why is His love not showing them there is a way?
(Casting Crowns - If We Are the Body)
Not having unity within a group of church members can indeed cause a spiritual gloomy effect. Perhaps that is a part of the "mundane" feeling you said you're having lately. Many times all we need as a group is for it to be brought to light... maybe the ladies aren't even realizing it's going on. Some may have unchanged attitudes or poor responses, but that can be God's way of showing you who to pray for and get more time in with to soften their hearts.
You my dear have an amazing strength that you under estimate though... and I will indeed run with this request for prayer, AND will await a testimony!
Love you!
Post a Comment