Thursday, May 5, 2011

Tea for... Six

Today was my first Thursday morning home since the end of our Abide, ladies' group.  Last Thursday we concluded our study of Faithful, Abundant, True by Kay Arthur, Priscilla Shirer & Beth Moore.  What a study it was!  We were so encouraged to dig "Deeper Still" into the heart of God.  I'm going to miss these weekly challenges from God's Word and these teachers.  I'll just have to dig in on my own until September, now won't I?

One week mid-study, (I can't remember how we got on the topic now) one of the ladies suggested that we meet after Abide was finished for the year and have a little "how did you meet your spouse?" get together.  I loved the idea and decided to invite my small group ladies to my home.  I love having people in and let's be honest, company is always a great excuse to give the house a super good clean, isn't it?

Earlier in the week I sent off an email to the ladies and about half of them were available to come for our Thursday morning brunch.  I set my alarm early this morning so I'd have time to shower, do the "do" and prepare my buffet of delicious treats.  Remembering that I'm on this "Reshaping it All" quest, I purchased a good selection of fresh fruit and yogurt to serve, along with the traditional goodies of handmade scones (with the most amazing recipe EVER ~ World's Best Scones) and cranberry-orange muffins (from a Martha White mix I'd picked up in the States).

Knowing that the scones and muffins are not the best choice for me in my calorie-counting feat, I decided to make the Scones using my smallest round cutter, and the muffins in a mini pan so that I could still partake in the carb-filled treat, but with less calories.  Is that cheating, btw?  I set out some Strawberry jam and Devon Cream for the scones and muffins, and had OJ, Hazelnut-Vanilla Coffee and an assortment of my favorite teas.

Five ladies came to join me this morning and we had a wonderful time of learning one another's love stories and sharing pictures from our weddings, all while we "brunched".  I was completely surprised when the ladies presented me with 2 beautiful yellow begonia plants (hope I don't kill them...I'm not the most gifted Gardener, you know), and lovely cards, all to thank me for leading Abide this year.  SO not expected!!

After the ladies left and I was hand-washing my good china luncheon plates, I smiled as I thought of our morning.  An idea came to me that this summer, as well as throughout the next semester of Abide, I need to "brunch" with ladies from our church more often, getting to know them deeper and building community.  Hmm...There's a new way to "reshape" my ministry!

2 comments:

Susan said...

Hi Sue, you little tea party sounded great! I plan to do that in Oct. I need to check out your scone recipes. You are a great baker. Renee baked banana bread again and we love it. I better get myself to bed. Hugs

Abby said...

A tea party sounds like so much fun! I wish I lived closer:)