Monday, May 9, 2011

It Moved... in the Nick of Time

Finally... after six weeks, my scale finally moved in the right direction!  Saturday afternoon, with my workout clothes on and my body ready for action, I finished my six-week challenge on my Wii EA Sports Active program.  Hubby and I had gone out shopping earlier in the day to pick up a few more items for his "fitness" allowance with work.   We picked up a medicine ball and the P90X workout DVDs to go with the weights and mat we got Friday.  When we got home, after my workout, together we did a little of the AbRipper on the P90X but if I'm 100% honest, I am SO not ready for the P90X.  My head wants to me, but my body is SO not ready to go there yet!  I was able to do maybe 1/3 of the ab exercises but guess that's better than none, huh?

I'm getting much better at this calorie counting thing I think... I'm slowly learning to think ahead with food. For example, we were going to look after our friends' 4 boys Saturday night and we wanted to treat them to pizza.  Knowing I'd had pizza Friday night as a "treat", instead I packed ingredients to throw together chicken salad tossed onto a bed of spinach for Hubby and I.  Hubby took the boys for a treat after dinner and a round of sports in the park, while I enjoyed a yogurt I'd brought from home.  Stayed within my calories that day!

Even Mother's Day I was being good.  We took Hubby's Mom to the movies in the afternoon to see "Jumping the Broom", a cute little movie produced by Pastor T.D. Jakes.  I am always tempted to chow down on the movie popcorn like I used to, with a Large bag on my lap and endless handfuls until my belly can't take another bite.  But that's the "old" me.  This time at the theater, we did buy a large popcorn, but I asked for a small bag (which the guy couldn't give me) and instead got a box (you know the one that is like a little tray with drink holders on one side?) and I took two handfuls of popcorn and placed them in my box and that was it.  I nibbled slowly on my little "box" of popcorn and was satisfied.  So many less calories when you do it that way.  Next time I may remember to bring an empty tupperware container to share in... or maybe hot air my own at home first.  I still love my popcorn at the movies but now it's not my entire day's worth of calories!

All this measuring and being careful and "budgeting" is starting to pay off though.  Mondays are the days I set for "weigh-in" and "measurements" and this morning I had a pleasant surprise when I stepped onto the bathroom scale.  Not only was I down the 2 pounds I had sneaked a peek at earlier on the weekend, but I was down another pound!!  That's 3 pounds!  Finally... the scale moved!!  I did a little happy dance (and woke Hubby up to tell him the exciting news) and quickly put on my workout gear while the euphoric feeling remained.  I even upped the anti in my workout this morning now that my 6 week challenge is done and really gave my heart a good pumping!  I never thought it would happen but those little endorphins have finally kicked in.  It's about time!

2 comments:

Mandy said...

Congratulations! It's frustrating not to see immediate progress, but so worth it if we can just hang in there. I'm in the "haning in there" stage, and your post has encouraged me to keep on trying!

Anonymous said...

That is so awesome! Eating healthy truly is becoming a lifestyle, eh? Good for you!