Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Worth Waking Up For

As a stay-at-home wife and childless woman, my mornings usually begin somewhere between 8 and 9 am where I meander through my morning ritual.  Quiet time, breakfast, the odd work-out when the mood strikes.  The world of school children, lunches and morning rush is foreign to me.  A world I know little about since my own school days.  That is until this morning.

One of my best friends is a busy mother of four boys.  Not only is she a busy mother of four boys ranging in ages for 11 to 4, but she is also a Pastor's wife and has gone back to school (teacher's college).  Her busy life makes mine feel like it's going in reverse.  

Hubby and I have been good friends with our Pastor and his wife since we met them before they were married, about two or three years after our own wedding.  We have had the wonderful pleasure of welcoming each of their precious boys and watching them grow.  It is such a pleasure to be a part of their lives.

Earlier this month, "A" needed me to pick up "M", their almost 4 year old kindergarten boy at lunchtime when his morning class ended.  "M" is the funniest 3 year old I know and he has such a sweet disposition.  On one of our walks home he related to me all about the large "boogers" in his nose that he couldn't sneeze out.  Then, when asked if he was ready for lunch, he proceeded to tell me that he wasn't ready because his hunger hadn't made it up to his face yet.  He cracks me up!

Well, this week, "A" asked if I was able to help her out again.  Her hubby, had to leave early for a 2 day conference and she needed to be out the door by 7:50 am.  She wondered if I could head over to their place by 8:15 to get the boys off to school.  At first, if truth be told, selfishness was nipping at my heart.  Get up early and head out the door before 8am?  Really?  But then I started to think about it.

What I began to realize is that it was rather a privilege to be asked.  Not many of "A"s friends could be there to help out in this way, considering most of them either had jobs to attend or their own kids to get to school on time.  For me, it was really rather simple.  Throw on some threads and head out the door.  I fought through my selfishness and told "A" that I would love to help her out and take the boys.

Can I just tell you... I am SO glad I did!  The oldest boy had left for school before I got there, but the other 3 boys were a dream to get ready.  They were amusing themselves quietly when I arrived and at the exact moment I suggested we get shoes and coats on, they were right there doing it without any argument.  Amazing boys!!  

Our walk to school was full of laughs and giggles as we all chattered to one another along the way.  "M" was running ahead and then waiting for us 20 steps along the path, until we caught up for him to do it all again.  In the school yard they ran to meet up with friends but still came to "visit" before the bell rang to head to their class.

I left the school yard just before 9am, walking back to get my car in "A"s driveway, before heading out to grocery shop.  A huge smile crossed my face and joy filled my heart as I thought about what I could have missed had I let my selfishness get in the way.

I truly am excited for tomorrow morning, to get up and do it all again.  These are some of the little "perks" God gives me as a barren woman to feel like a Mom, for even a day or two!  God is good!!


Psalm 113:9
He gives childless couples a family, gives them joy as the parents of children.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a lovely post! I am so glad you had this experience!

Tea said...

This post is such a blessing to read. I love your heart. I've been through several years of infertility and, although our stories are slightly different, I've finally come to the place where I can let go of my dreams and desires -and like you say, make lemonade. You are inspiring.

~Pam~ said...

Hi Sue,
Oh, how I loved reading this! Sounds like you have had some fun times with the boys. And at that age, say the cutest things. :-)
love you!
xoxo