Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Random Dozen in a Busy Week

I used to love sitting in my quiet days, blogging away about deep profound thoughts... or total fluffy trivia, but all that seems to be laid aside while I run like a madwoman trying to juggle my "new" life of ministry facilitator for our ladies' group at church (Abide), launch an evening version (Abide PM) and keep up with my wifely duties around the house.  I'm a little overwhelmed (but not really that much) but mostly just BUSY!  Not much time to sit these days and when I do, my mind is racing so fast about all the i's to dot and t's to cross in my life that not much semblance of sanity seems to exist.  Nonetheless, it's Wednesday so that means that Linda over at 2nd Cup of Coffee, will fill my brain with thought-provoking questions so I can blog about something... anything... today!  Here goes... this week's Random Dozen:



1. Have you, or has someone close to you, ever won an award for anything?   My oldest sister just won an award this summer for "Hometown Hero" in her city for all the amazing volunteer work she does.  We were all SO proud of her!

2. Who is the nearest relative to you who has served in the US Military?  Well... being Canadian... the easy answer is no one.  The nearest relative to me who has served in the Canadian military would have to be, I think, my Grandfather who was in the Navy.  

3. Share something that stirs the patriotic spirit in you.  If truth be told, I haven't felt overly "patriotic" here in Canada, well... my whole life (I'm an American at heart despite what my birth certificate says), but... that being said... I felt extremely patriotic during the Winter Olympics this past winter.  I was super proud to be Canadian then as we hosted.  Could this be my spiritual gift of hospitality kicking in? 

4. Where are you in the birth order in your family? Do you think your "placement" made a difference in your personality?  I am the baby of 6 and you betcha my placement made a difference in my personality!  I LOVE being the baby and even though I'm "old", I milk that sucker for all it's worth to this day!

5. Name one trait you hope you carry that was evidenced in your parents or grandparents.  I hope to become a prayer warrior like my grandmother and my parents.

6. If female, do you prefer wearing a skirt or pants? If male, shirt and tie or polo?  Pants!  I think my knees are too fat for skirts and with these hips, it's hard to find skirts/dresses I like.

7. Approximately how many times do you wake during the night? What do you do to go back to sleep?  This truly depends.  Is Hubby snoring?  Did I go to bed late and am so zonked that outside of an earthquake nothing would wake me (ie. last night there was apparently some bad storm that I totally missed).  Just depends.  What I do to go back to sleep is usually I start to pray and sadly, that puts me back to sleep.  Think God minds that?

8. Share a favorite movie quote.  After watching DWTS results last night... the first one that popped into my mind was from Dirty Dancing... "Nobody puts Baby in a corner"... although that isn't a favorite.  A favorite would be from Gross Pointe Blank where Martin Blank is telling his old school buddy about where he's been for the past 10 years.  He's a professional killer and his friend says upon finding that out, "Do you get dental with that?"  The whole scene between Jeremy Piven and John Cusack makes me laugh every time!

9. What is your favorite Fall candle scent?  Something pumpkin-y!  A little spice added but not too much or I'll get a headache.

10. What is one Fall activity you're looking forward to?  Thanksgiving!  It's early October here in Canada and the leaves are usually at their peak.  It's so pretty.  The air can be super crisp or we could have an "Indian summer" day where the sun is warm with just a little bite to the air.

11. Tell us about a pleasant surprise that happened to you recently.  The other day I was out pricing sofas for our family room.  I was up in a different part of our city, a little distance from home.  I've been looking for a new cell phone that can text for what feels like FOREVER and had finally narrowed down to either Blackberry or iPhone4 (although I wasn't sure how long I wanted to wait for one).  So... after leaving the furniture store, I spotted a Telus mobility store nearby.  I thought, "what the hey... I'll go in & ask about phones".  Talking with the guy I had decided that I would just go Blackberry because no one seems to have the iPhone 4 which is really what I wanted.  He looks as me and says "hang on" while he exits to the backroom.  Seconds later he comes out, holding an iPhone4.  WHAT!!!  So, after a quick call to Hubby, and a little paperwork, payment and a happy dance... I now own my very own iPhone4... and can TEXT people!!  FINALLY!!! lol

12. What was it like when you first met your in-laws-to-be?  The first "in-laws" I met was my Hubby's twin sister and her hubby.  It was somewhat awkward considering Hubby and I had only had one date and at the time he was then dating another girl, a friend of his Twin's hubby.  They (Hubby & the other woman) obviously didn't work out (since he's MY Hubby) and the next in-law I met was my mother-in-law.  Again, it was a tad awkward considering the way Hubby and I began, but she was so warm and welcoming.  Hubby & I only dated a few weeks (exclusively) before we got engaged so my dear mother-in-law didn't have long to get to know her future ... well... me!  It wasn't long after that I met the rest of Hubby's small family!  Now for him... it was a completely different story! lol



There you have it.  This week's Random Dozen and now I've got to get off here and get back to my myriad of duties!  

2 comments:

Mocha with Linda said...

#4 absolutely made me laugh! I'm also the baby.

Goat Gal said...

Yay for Canadian Thanksgiving!