My Dad!!
The road to my Daddy has been a long one... not only today, but the past 45 years. My relationship with Dad was quite a tumultuous one, particularly in my late teens and early 20's. One might call me a free-spirit but Dad found me quite rebellious during those years. When he'd say "stop", I'd say "GO". If he saw something black, I'd see it white. We were like opposites that were in fact cut from a similar cloth, yet came at things from different angles.
I spent most of my younger years pushing his buttons. I recall many times Dad would quote the verse from Ephesians 6:1, "Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right." (NIV) as he desperately tried to get me to lean towards his direction. My response usually was quoting Ephesians 6:4 back to him, "Fathers, do not exasperate your children...". It was a constant battle of wills in those days.
Then I grew up, much to his delight. As I matured emotionally, I also grew spiritually and asked God to help me see my Dad as he saw him. God showed me that my Dad loved me, despite his inability to express it verbally. He drew me to my Dad's humanness and that he was still a work in process, and a product of his parents' humanness, as was I. The Lord taught me to forgive my Dad for not being the Dad I needed, and He taught me to love my Dad for the dad he was: a great provider, lover of my Mother, and the fact that Dad gave me the greatest thing he could... a spiritual foundation and godly home.
It wasn't until after my Mom died that my Dad began to transform into the Dad I had needed all those years before. Heartbroken and wiser, Dad began to verbalize to his six children his love for us and walls of regret came tumbling down on all sides. The more I got to know this "new" Dad, the more I grew to love him, honor him and delight in him... and subsequently, my love for my "other" Daddy, God, grew deeper and closer as well. I hadn't realized that I needed to lose my Mom, in order to get the dad I'd always dreamed of.
Driving two hours one way to visit my Dad was not a chore. We knew it would mean the world to him for at least one of his kids to spend time with him on Father's Day. Hubby and I being childless (and Hubby's Dad already in Heaven) makes it easy for us to escape the city and be with Dad.
We arrived at the small country chapel they attend up north shortly before 10:45. Dad, surprised to see us, enveloped us in a big hug as we squeezed into the row alongside him. I'm not sure if "G" told Dad we were coming or not. No matter... his delight was apparent and our mission was accomplished!
After the service we enjoyed a delicious pork roast lunch "G" served for us and then Hubby and I dished out the dessert we'd brought with us:
Raspberries, Blueberries & Strawberries
over Angel Food Cake w/ real Whipping Cream
Yep. It's been a long road to my Daddy but I'm so glad I made the trip... not only today but over the past couple decades. He's 80 this year. He won't be with us forever, but these memories I've been making with him over the past few years will carry me through after he's gone. I'm so thankful for the Dad my Father in Heaven gave to me... and it is an honor to honor him on this special day. Thanks Dad! I love you with all my heart!




3 comments:
Awww sweetie, this was a lovely post and how blessed you are to be able to make that drive and be with your sweet Daddy. You know how much I would love to do that. We've had a lovely day together here too, I'm just off to bed... sending you BIG hugs
xxxx
Such a sweet post! I'm sure your dad was soo happy to see you yesterday!
That dessert looked delish!!!
I loved reading this post! My story is different from yours, but the similarity is that my mom went home to be with the Lord a few years ago and we now have a lovely "God-sent" mother!
Glad you are enjoying your daddy!
Post a Comment