Growing up, like so many other young people, I took my Mom for granted. Looking back, having stood by her death-bed, watching her prepare to meet Jesus, I am in awe of the amazing woman God blessed me with as my mother.Jean was the second of four children, somehow lost in the middle of her sister’s who were favoured by her parents, and her only brother. This raven-haired beauty had a sparkling personality and smile that could brighten any room. Her zest for life must have been what attracted my Dad to her in their later years of high school.Married at 20, Jean quickly started popping out children and soon the home was full. Six of us to be exact, me being her baby (and favourite of course - ha ha). Mom was the quintessential 1950’s housewife… fabulous cook, made the “best buns in town” and was unflappable while preparing holiday meals for the 30 of our immediate family around the dining room tables, while supporting her bread-winning husband. My Mom modeled a godly wife and I try to follow in her footsteps in my own marriage.By this world’s standards my Mom was beautiful. She had young “Elizabeth Taylor” good looks into her late 40‘s. In the early 1980’s though (at 50 yrs old) she was faced with an enormous challenge to her self-esteem when during an ear operation to remove a benign tumor, a nerve was pinched in her face, permanently causing damage to her mouth, throat and eye muscles.Despite this setback, my Mom rarely let it get the best of her. She didn’t let it change her inside and instead dug deeper into her faith and declared each day “This is the day the Lord has made. I will rejoice and be glad in it” (Psalm 118:24). Although the woman who used to make her own clothes and hats, now took less interest in her outward appearance, her inner beauty shone through in the way she loved, not only her family, but our friends and everyone else she came in contact with.The last week of her life and the days, weeks and months after her death impacted me more than I ever imagined. On the one year anniversary of her death, God gave me a picture of her in Heaven, with both her eyes opened bright and her full smile shining, singing praises to her King and I was finally at peace. The words of 1 Peter 3:3,4 describe my Mom perfectly: “Don’t be concerned about the outward beauty of fancy hairstyles, expensive jewellery or beautiful clothes. You should clothe yourselves instead with the beauty that comes from within, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is so precious to God.” This is the kind of woman I aim to be!
This is my 7th Mother's Day without Mom. The day doesn't hurt near as much as it did those first few, but on this day especially, I miss her and long for the opportunity to thank her yet again for the difference she's made in my life.
Generally, I try to avoid this day now, being a motherless non-Mom, but to you Mother's reading this, I want to ask Jesus to bless you today for the selfless acts you do for your family each and every day. May your children rise up and call you blessed today! For those reading this who aren't yet Mothers, or like myself, may never be, I pray God's peace on you and wish you joy as you celebrate your Mom today, whether she is with you in person or in spirit. I wish peace and happy memories today for those like myself whose Mother has passed away. May God's comfort be with you today as you remember your Mom.
I want to especially wish those of you who are new Mom's like my niece Krissy, and Moms-to-be, like her sister R (and my blog buddy Abby!) much joy as you savor this exciting new experience. May your new children bring you much love and joy and may God bless you each and every day of this new adventure!
Happy Mother's Day!


3 comments:
What a wonderful difference maker submission Sue, it's the perfect post for today. I feel so lucky to still have my mom. Have a great Sunday, I'm sure the boys would wish you a happy mother's day if they could! Big hugs
That is such a beautiful post about your mother. She sounds so wonderful. My heart hurts for you on mothers day. I can't imagine life without my mom.
Thanks for the shout-out:) It seems surreal still and thinking about being a mother next mother's day? wow. I can't even describe it!
I hope you had a wonderful weekend. I know how much Mothers day sucks when you want to be a mother!! I'm so happy that you have such a strong family and wonderful hubby on hard weekends such as this!
What a beautiful post Sue, I hope you still had a lovely Sunday. Sending big hugs
xxxxx
Post a Comment