Saturday, April 17, 2010

Red Hot Monogamy

So... did I catch your attention with the title of today's post?!

Hubby and I just arrived home from a full day marriage seminar at our church, entitled "Red Hot Monogamy".  As couples, we went through a DVD series by Les and Leslie Parrot dealing with some of the issues that arise in marriage that couples want to deal with, preferably before they say "I Do" but most certainly will need to once into marriage.  Hubby and I had been asked by one of our pastor's to be facilitators of a small group.

The day went quickly as we hopped from watching the DVD segments, did the exercises in the booklet as a couple, and then broke into small groups to discuss the issues.  We started off with the "myths of marriage".  For those of you married, can you remember the "myths" you believed before you entered marriage?  One of the myths mentioned on the DVD was that we expect our spouse to "complete" us.  I blame the movie "Jerry Maguire" for that one!  Ultimately, my spouse is supposed to "compliment" me and not "complete" me.  Only God can complete me... and we know He won't be done that job this side of Heaven!!

I think the biggest thread that weaved through everything we discussed today was the importance of communication.  In order to co-exist peacefully we need to be able to speak in a way that our spouse can understand what we're saying, and we need to drop our unrealistic expectations, voicing in humility and grace where our needs are not being met.  We need to disagree fairly and respectfully.

Marriage is hard work. No doubt about it.  But, I don't think it's supposed to FEEL like such a tedious and arduous job.  As Christians, a godly marriage should have God as the anchor and foundation.  I  believe, as we grow in shared faith as a couple, allowing Him to refine us individually, marriages flourish.

Each couple was given a potted Hyacinth.  This fragrant and beautiful plant was a reminder of what our marriages can be.  Sometimes it is the work underground, out of sight, that God does within us that nourishes us and allows us individually and as couples to "sprout" and eventually bloom into a sweet aroma of love and companionship.  Like these bulbed plants though, we may go through times of dormancy, but with the proper nurture and care, in time we can blossom again.

Spending a day with my Hubby, focused on our marriage, is always fruitful.  I feel so blessed to have a godly husband and best friend.  When we are emotionally and spiritually in sync... oh my... that red hot monogamy is the icing on the cake!

1 comment:

He & Me + 3 said...

Wow...I sure wish that we had a seminar like that around here. It sounds so good. That is wonderful that you and your hubs are spiritually in sync and best friends. The best of both worlds.
I have been a bad blogging friend too. Lots going on over here.