Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Recipe and Random Dozen

As Denise requested yesterday, I thought I'd post my Mom's recipe for "Daffodil Dessert" here for you, my blogging friends.  The recipe didn't call for blueberries on top, but I had some on hand and chose to decorate the top of mine with them, along with the whipping cream and shaved chocolate.  Here you go:

Daffodil Dessert
Light and refreshing family favourite



In top of double boiler combine:
6 egg yolks
¾ cup granulated sugar
¾ cup lemon juice

Heat over boiling water until thick.

Soften:
1 tbsp unflavoured gelatin in ¼ cup cold water
Stir into hot mixture and chill.

Beat 6 egg whites until stiff. 
Add ¾ cup granulated sugar gradually
Stir in 1-1/2 tsp grated lemon rind
Beat until very stiff
Fold into chilled egg yolk mixture
Pour over angel food cake (which has been torn into small pieces 
about the size of a walnut) in a large bowl
Fold together.  Pour into serving bowl.

Top with whipped cream.  Decorate with cherries and shaved chocolate.

It really was a huge hit and even after a big dinner it was light and refreshing.  Enjoy!

And now onto this week's Random Dozen, thanks to Linda over at 2nd Cup of Coffee:




1. Define a great relationship.  Wow... how do I put this into a short definition?  Shared faith, Friendship, Communication, Humility and Respect.    

2. Why is it called a "drive-through" if you have to stop? (Real question: What was the last food/drink you purchased at a drive-through?)  Boy... can I even remember?  Maybe a McDonald's hamburger and vanilla shake while on the road on vacation?  We hate to stop and eat ~ we lose driving time when we stop for meals.

3. As I type this, the Butler Bulldogs are getting ready to play in the NCAA championship game. Every Hoosier is hysterical about this except me. So in honor of the Bulldogs ... what is your favorite breed of dog? (I tried.)  I've never owned one of these... and I have only ever been "around" one for a few hours... but I would have to say that a Coton deTulear would be my favorite and if I did ever get a dog... this would be the breed I'd want.  Here's a couple pics of this adorable "mop top" breed:






4. If you had to move to a state besides the one you currently live in, where would you move?  If I could move to the States... I would chose to move to either North Carolina, South Carolina or Georgia... but preferably closer to the ocean side than inland.

5. If you could change anything about the way you were raised, what would it be?  Hmm... I think the only thing I would change is my Dad's involvement in my life.  He traveled a lot during my growing up years and with 6 kids in the family I think for his sanity he kind of retreated a little emotionally.  I would love to have had the relationship I have with him now back then.  I am incredibly appreciative of the upbringing my parents gave us.  I think I belong to a pretty great family!!

6. Who's the funniest person you know?  My nephew, "E", who lives with us CRACKS ME UP!  He and his sister, "S" are pretty funny and always keep us laughing with their dry wit.

7. Did you get enough sleep last night?  I believe so, although right about now on this rainy, overcast day a nap sure sounds good.

8. What's the first thing you thought about this morning?  Going to the bathroom... doesn't everyone?  That's why we wake up!

9. Grilled or Fried? --HONESTLY  Are we talking BBQ grill?  If so, grilled.

10. Are you afraid of the dark?  If I'm somewhere spooky and unfamiliar then yes, but for sleeping I need the room to be dark. 

11.When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?  I don't think I had any grand aspirations really.  I always wanted to be a wife and mother.  At least one of those came true ;-)

12. If you had one word to describe yourself , what would you choose?  
Oh my... so many are running through my head but if I can only choose one I think I would choose Loving.



Okay... that was fun!  Now it's your turn.  If you wanna play along with Random Dozen Wednesdays, head over to visit Linda and get the questions from her site.

7 comments:

Abby said...

That desserts sounds amazing!!! My mouth is watering:)

~Pam~ said...

Hi Sue!
Oh my goodness that dessert looks so delicious!
I enjoyed your random dozen!

Enjoy your Wednesday sweetie!

HUGS

Unknown said...

Great answers! I lived in NC for about 12 years, though closer to the mountains than the ocean. It's a beautiful state. We miss it and the wonderful people there.

Jess :) said...

That recipes sounds so yummy and perfect for spring/summer!!!! I'm definitely going to have to make that one :)

Also, love reading your random answers! So fun learning more about you, friend. Sorry I've been so absent. I just haven't been much into the whole blogging thing lately. Hoping it will get better :)

Denise said...

Thanks for posting the recipe, I might give that a try some day. Is it a custardy kind of thing over angel foodcake? sounds like a trifle without the fruit or jello in it. I know I'd love it.
I'd never heard of that dog until you told Kristen about it last year when she showed you her dog bible. It's a cutie for sure :)

Joyce said...

I enjoyed reading your answers...I read back a bit...your Easter table was so pretty!

Kirsty said...

Loving is a lovely word to describe yourself :)
Love that dog! So super cute!
(Nice to meet you..I followed the link on the random dozen list :))