Tuesday, April 6, 2010

The Easter Weekend That Was

Time just seems to be flying by so quickly and I'm really trying to be a better blogger.  Honest, I am!  I have many things to catch you up on so I'll try and not be too long-winded (like usual), but I'll start back at last Thursday... the beginning of my Easter prep.

Thursday morning I was up before the sun, heading to spend the day with Krissy and the triplets.  Those little miracles have already tripled their birth weight and are now sleeping through the night.  Overnight feeds are history and everyone, including Mommy, Grandmas and Auntie Sue are getting good sleeps.  Now, we head in for the first feed which happens between 7:30 and 8:00 a.m.

Along with caring for the babies, this particular Thursday, Krissy was teaching me to bake homemade rolls for my Easter dinner we were hosting on Friday for Hubby's family.  As a young girl, Krissy would hang with my Mom in the cottage kitchen, making my Mom's "famous" bun recipe.  I, being the selfish teen/young 20-something, had "better" things to do and didn't pay attention.  Talk about regrets!  Fortunately though, Krissy was a very good student and as it turns out, a very patient teacher and she walked me through my first attempt (and a successful one at that) and on Friday, fresh buns were on my dinner table.

After the bun-making venture, Krissy and I took the trips out for a walk around the neighborhood in the precarious triple-stroller.  Although the kids were safely strapped into the stroller... that crazy thing was making both Krissy and I nervous as it bounced along the sidewalk.  Krissy pushed while I was being dragged around by Gus, their mini-schnauzer.  What was I thinking bringing the dog along??!! lol

Before I left Thursday, Krissy and I were having a few giggles as Auntie Sue once again dragged out the camera to take shots of Teddy, Josh & Emma.  I took a couple quick videos of them too which had us in stitches.  Here's a shot of the triplets from my visit!

Teddy, Josh and Emma just after breakfast

After my fun afternoon, with buns in tow, I headed home to start my dessert for our Good Friday feast.  Another of my Mom's "traditional" Easter recipes was on the menu:  Daffodil Dessert.  This recipe was much easier than I'd anticipated and after only about an hour it was ready to chill overnight, with only the whipping cream and shaved chocolate left to do before serving Friday.

I set my table Thursday night and early Friday morning before our Good Friday church service, I put together the "goodie" bags I had for each place setting.  Here's a pic of the table:


Here's a close up of the goodie bags:


Hubby's family began arriving around 2 p.m.  and after some appetizers, visiting and a pre-dinner walk for some, dinner was served around 4:15.   I served ham (honey ham and maple ham), scalloped potatoes, green bean/yellow bean/baby carrot medley, and corn, along with the homemade buns.  


It was exciting for me to have Hubby's entire family seated around our table for this celebration.  My buns were a hit and the Daffodil dessert was enjoyed so much that almost everyone had seconds until there was none left over.  


After dinner and dessert, some of the family headed downstairs to play a little Wii while the rest of us stayed upstairs, enjoying a cup of tea and chatting.  Before everyone left we had picture time and then our guests were on their way by 9:30 p.m.  It was a wonderful family get together to celebrate Easter!



The rest of the weekend was much more quiet.  Saturday we went to the movies... twice.  Once with our neighbor and Hubby's Mom to see The Last Song, and later in the evening just the two of us, after dinner out at the Lone Star, to see Tyler Perry's Why Did I Get Married Too.  Both were enjoyable.

Sunday was church where we not only celebrated our Risen Lord, but also celebrated friends who were baptized.  In the afternoon, Hubby and I ate leftover ham & potatoes and went for a walk in the warm Spring sunshine, before hunkering down for an evening of reality t.v. Sunday night.  It was a wonderful Easter weekend!

5 comments:

Judy said...

Hi Sue! Thank you for sharing your wonderful day with us! What a beautiful table setting - you did good girl! :-) And those babies!!! They are BEAUTIFUL! You must be one proud Auntie! Love you Sue - have a wonderful week, & enjoy your little 'nibblings'. Hugs

Denise said...

What is daffodil dessert? It looks like blueberry trifle to me, care to share the recipe ;)
Your table looks beautiful and your menu sounds delicious. Wish we could have been there with you all.
xxxx

Susan said...

Hi Sue, I love your table and the goodie bags! I did another blog update with more pics and I am sure Judy is jumping for joy. :) It is good to see the triplets growing so well. There just isn't enough hours in the day so I have to give up a little sleep. I am off Friday and I can sleep in then. Hugs

Genny said...

You don't have to try to be a better blogger... you already are a great blogger!

That table is JUST beautiful! What sweet photos!

Abby said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful easter! That food sounds delicious and your table was beautiful!