First up on the change table, as it were, (have I been hanging around those triplets too much?!) is the old fridge. Almost 16 years ago, as a freshly engaged couple about to embark on making our first (and so far only) home, we purchased our very first major appliances. Our new, (out of date) kitchen was equipped with no fridge or stove. It's only appliance was the almond colored built in dishwasher. Being young and naive, we assumed that because it was almond, then we'd need to purchase all almond appliances. (Of course had we investigated a titch more, we would have found that we could have replaced the almond front with a white overlay on the dishwasher).
For years I have disliked my almond (dirty looking) appliances, dreaming of the day when I could replace them with pristine white ones. When the old dishwasher "gave up the ghost", I was quick to replace it with a fresh white GE model. Next, we put in a white over-the-stove microwave even though the stove to this day remains almond.
Imagine my delight when our fridge started leaking. Now, I could replace another piece with the brightness of white. So, as you know from earlier posts, we were in search for "THE" fridge to replace old Bessie (and no I did not name my fridge, although it might be kind of fun to name the new one!) On Tuesday, after a 3 hour wait for the Sears delivery guys, my new Maytag, gloriously white, fridge was assembled and gently put into it's place, after the guys took the old one out to their truck.
A cute story about that ... as the main delivery guy is unscrewing the door from the almond fridge, he asked, "Do you need a moment with your old fridge?" I laughed at him, telling him "No. She's been leaking so she's outta here!" but after he left, I did get a little nostalgic as I thought about how this was indeed our first family fridge. Then I thought, I should have taken pictures. I know... I need therapy!
So... off went old "Almondsides" and in came the new baby... wanna see?
Isn't she lovely? She has a pull out freezer drawer which I'm already loving. So much easier to keep things organized in there! Wanna peek inside?
What can I get for you? A drink perhaps? Maybe a piece of fruit? I love how the shelves are interchangeable and see-through! Really is a spiffy concept and easier to organize things!
Anyone whose been to our house knows too that our fridge is called "The Prayer Fridge". It's where we assemble pictures of family and friends so we can remember to pray for them. Last night after dinner, I spent a few hours printing off new pics and magnetizing them to redo the prayer fridge. Here's my end result:
I know it doesn't look as pristine and tidy as before, but now it has personality and charm and it's full of loved ones who mean so much to us! Is your picture not there? Do you want it to be? Let me know and we can add you too!
Hubby and I also collect magnets when we travel. Instead of t-shirts or other "souveniers", we try and pick up one or two magnets for the fridge (or microwave) to remind us of all the places we've been blessed to visit. Some of those are accenting the pics on the fridge.
So... one major purchase complete... one more coming and one more eventually (ahem... ugly almond stove I mean YOU) to finish. Next Tuesday the new washer/dryer come. I'm still perplexed about how/where I want to put them. My laundry room isn't huge and I'm super afraid that the new machines will overpower the room and in a townhouse, space is at a premium. I'm considering stacking them. Anyone have their front loaders stacked? Input would be helpful!! I'll keep you posted with pics!





4 comments:
Hi Sue! Love the new frig! Ours is about 3 weeks old now - we got a french door frig with the freezer on the bottom, & I LOVE that! So much more room. And yes...I want to send you a couple of pics for your prayer frig - Elliot & Emily...would it be beter to email you the pic & then you could print it off??? I want them bathed in prayer, & you know all the circumstances & needs. That's such a neat idea Sue. Enjoy your new 'baby'. Have a blessed day. Hugs
Hi Sue! Haven't been by in ages, sorry! Actually, I tell a lie - I did pop in about a week ago, and got sidetracked and didn't leave a comment.
I'm loving that new fridge of yours so much! Looks nice and spacious, and all the storage in the door is great! So the freezer part is at the bottom then? How do you like that? I can't recall ever seeing one like that before.
Also, love your Snoopy shower curtain from your other post below! :-D
hugs,
Andrea
Sue I am loving your new fridge. Isn't it fun to get new appliances, almost makes you want to cook or clean something. Well almost!
Love the magnet idea for travel...but my new stainless fridge you can't put magnets on it...ugh! So need to come up with another concept. Perhaps a magnet board in my new office ( that is when I get one). Magnets would be so much easier and cheaper to deal with as sweet reminders of our blessed trips.
Have a super day sweetie. Sure have been missing you.
Love ya,
Cindy
I love your new fridge!! Yay!! It's amazing how these updated fridges fit so much more stuff! When I unjammed the stuff out of our old fridge yesterday and then put it into the new one, I couldn't believe how much space I had left over! I can actually go and buy groceries now! Whoohoo!
And how cool that you have those pictures on your fridge to remind you to pray for those people. That's awesome!
Post a Comment