Monday, December 14, 2009

Do You Know the Way to San Jose?

It was with a heavy heart that I packed our bags and had hubby drive away from the Monterey Bay area.  I think I'll ask God if I can have a beach house instead of a mansion in Heaven.  I want some ocean-front property there!

Yesterday, I forgot to mention in my excitement over sharing triplet's pictures,  that hubby and I saw a huge school of dolphins swimming, playing, jumping about in the surf along the Monterey Bay yesterday morning.  Our hotel is quite a distance from the ocean's shore, but from our 12th floor bayfront balcony we could see the bobbing bodies of ... something... so I grabbed the camera and zoomed, snapping away like crazy.  Later, I zoomed the pictures and it's either dolphins... or maybe even whales!!  I LOVE dolphins and it's always a bonus being by the ocean and seeing those magnificent creatures in the surf.  Even cooler if they were whales.  My pictures are quite pathetic so I'll pass on sharing them here.  You'll just have to take my word!

This morning after checking out of our hotel, we drove back to Monterey Bay in order to catch the noon screening of The Polar Express in IMAX-3D.  We arrived early so we used the visitor passes to the aquarium Hubby's client loaned us, and we went to check out the Sea Otters.  They weren't there on Friday when we visited.  I was disappointed.  They are SO cute and I was saddened that they weren't on display.  Today though, they were swimming about... washing themselves something fierce and being just so darn cute.  Here's a little pic of one ... I wish we could have caught just how cute they really were.



We asked at the visitor's desk if there was another place to watch the otters and they told us there wasn't, yet they did say we were just in time for the feeding of the fish in the big tank in another section of the aquarium.  We hightailed it over and were able to sit and watch the tuna, hammerhead sharks, barracuda, sardines and stingrays feed.  Fascinating stuff!

Over at the IMAX theater, the 3-D movie was fun.  I really enjoy The Polar Express and it was great seeing it come to life with the big screen's 3-D effects.  After the movie we hoped in the car and bid a sad farewell to Monterey Bay before making our way up to San Jose, our next stop.  I never seem to leave an ocean without a huge sense of loss in my soul.  It doesn't matter if it's the Atlantic or the Pacific... I just wanna be by the ocean and leaving it about breaks my heart.  I hope all those who live near the ocean truly appreciate what they have!

Our hotel here in San Jose is comfy.  It's a Homewood Suites and it has a nice little kitchenette, as well as comfy living area and spacious bedroom/bathroom area.  It will make a nice relaxing home for 2 days before we head off Tuesday to our final destination before home.

Tomorrow while hubby works, I'll be off having lunch with one of my favorite authors and online friend, Kristin Billerbeck.  I'm looking forward to meeting her in person and enjoying her incredible sense of humor "live". 

Well, hubby just came in the room so I think that's my cue to close up for the night.

4 comments:

Abby said...

I totally want a play by play of your lunch with Kristin and pictures tomorrow on here!! I hope you have a great time! I'm sure your sides will hurt from laughing so much:)

Darylynn said...

Glad you got to see dolphins at play! I love to see the little sea otters- they're so cute how they break open shells by pounding against a rock on the chest. We see whales and dolphins at Zuma Beach all the time. Often we're out swimming with them. My heart always skips a beat tho when I see those dorsal fins! :D (((Hugz)))

Unknown said...

Sounds like a wonderful vacation! Have with your lunch! Meeting "online" friends is always a little nerve-wracking for me, but well worth it!

Elizabeth said...

Hello Sue, I am like you about the ocean & feel so blessed to live 2 miles away from the beach. Glad you saw some dolphins, they are so special. I love otters too they are too cute. I hope you're having a good time in San Jose. Glad you enjoy California, it's a wonderful state. Hugs