Saturday, October 24, 2009

What A Difference Six Years Makes

Today hubby and I attended a wedding. Six years ago this Saturday was a completely different type of day. On that particular Saturday back in 2003 I missed a very important phone call first thing in the morning... a phone call from my sister-in-law, telling me that my Mom had passed into Eternity with Jesus. Oh what a different Saturday that was!

I remember hearing the phone ring very early that Saturday ~ sometime around 6ish. My sister-in-law told me that Mom was getting close to the end of her time here on earth. She told me to stay in bed and that they would call when Mom was gone. I remember hanging the phone back up, while half asleep... only I didn't hang the phone up. It was only partially on the phone cradle and I didn't wake up until after 9am. When I saw the phone NOT on the hook I panicked. I quickly put the receiver on the cradle and then picked it up to hear the "beep beep beep" telling me that I had a message.

By now I am frantic. I listen to the first message... "Mom is gone". The second message is from my oldest sister - "Where are you? We're all here at the hospital!". By this time I'm bawling and can't believe that I am still at home, with greasy hair, over 40 minutes away from the hospital. After I pulled myself together, I had the fastest shower of my life... did "something" with my hair (can't remember now what that exactly was) and raced down the highway towards my brother's house (which is down the street from the hospital).  The rest of that Saturday was filled with crying, hugs and reminiscing while we girls in the family went off in search of floral arrangements for the funeral.    Oh what a difference six years makes!

This morning I woke up to no phone calls.  I had a leisure morning of walking on the treadmill, eating some breakfast, watching my latest addiction (HGTV), showering and getting dressed for the wedding this afternoon.  Before heading to the church I wrapped the gift and off to the church we went.

Shaaron, the bride, was breathtaking!  The groom, handsome and full of joy as he watched his bride walk down the aisle towards him.  It was exciting to see this young couple recite their vows as theirs is a true tale of romance.

When I left my former job at the vein clinic, it was Shaaron who replaced me.  We got to know one another in the weeks of training we did together.  This past Spring she asked me if I could fill in for her so she could take part in a missions trip in Guyana.  I was glad to oblige for such a worthy cause.  Little did I know though that by filling in to free her to go would change her life forever.  You see, Shaaron and David were not dating when they both went on this missions trip.  They had been friends for many years and Shaaron felt God had given her a promise 2 years ago that one day she would marry David but up until this past April, the two had never been more than just friends.  David, also knew that he loved her and wanted to marry her and took with him to Guyana a beautiful engagement ring and proposed while they were away serving God on this trip.

When Shaaron returned to work you can imagine our shock to find out the wonderful surprise God had in store for her (and everyone) when she came  back an engaged woman.  I was so honored to be a part of such a romantic love story, for had I not been able to fill in, Shaaron would not have been able to leave her job to go on this missions trip.  The Lord works in mysterious ways that's for sure!

So today, Hubby and I were guests at this blessed event.  At first we felt like wedding crashers as I only knew the bride and one other guest, Sarah, who had been my "Saturday" replacement at my former job.  I had never met the groom and hubby had met no one before.  We weren't sure how tonight (the reception dinner) would go but we went and found our seats at Table 11 and God blew us away with a special surprise.  At our table was a couple, Allan and Amy.  As we began talking with them, somehow it came up that we had mutual friends... D, E and Baby C!  What a small world!  They had attended a church with E's family years ago and were/are friends with D & E.  It was such a blessing because we hit it off so well with this couple and we actually had someone to talk to the entire evening and into the dance.  I love how God works!

So... as the close of this Saturday ends and I think back six years ago to what a sad day it was, I am thrilled at the joy and love that has been redeemed in this day through the wonderful marriage of dear Shaaron and David!


The Bride (Shaaron) and Me


4 comments:

Sarah Wylie said...

I'm sorry about the sad and painful memories that come with this day, but so glad that you had a good day!
God does work in mysterious ways! I love your "role" in their romantic story! :)
Have a lovely weekend!

He & Me + 3 said...

Weddings always bring smiles and happiness. That is a beautiful picture. Congrats to shaaron & david

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

What a gut-wrenching, heartbreaking day it was 6 six years ago. I'm sure you have tried to understand why events played out like they did that morning. Maybe it was all part of God's larger plan that we can know nothing about now but will someday, when everything unfolds.

As you talked about the wedding, I couldn't help but think of the Marriage Feast spoken of in Revelation also in regard to your mother.

Sorry for you loss but am grateful that you shared how God has seen you through to this day, Sue.

Abby said...

How hard that day must have been for you 6 years ago. I cannot even imagine! It's wonderful that you were able to celebrate this day in such a positive way!