I went for a drive this afternoon and as I drove west towards the old stomping grounds of "home", I couldn't help but think back to October 25, 2003 when the day was a much more dismal day. That day, the weather was dull, overcast and rainy. So was my mood. As I wrote in yesterday's post, that was the day my Mom went "Home" to be with Jesus.
Most of my life, my Mom had struggled with health issues, stemming from a benign tumor in the area around her ear. Twice before my sixteenth birthday she had undergone surgery to try and remove the tumor. During the second surgery something went wrong when the ear began to bleed and a nerve was pinched, causing paralysis on one side of her face. This in and of itself was difficult but accompanying this paralysis was also the destruction of taste buds from radiation therapy, and difficulty swallowing and properly shutting her eye. Pain became my Mother's constant companion in the later years. The tumor returned again and with it came extreme headaches as we found out, the tumor began to move up into her brain stem.
My Mom rarely complained even though I know her ailments frustrated her beyond belief. At her funeral were hundreds of friends of both her and my Dad's, as well as friends of her 6 children, most of who had been touched by her grace and kindness. My mother was a beauty - from her earlier years (like the picture above) to her last days, her beauty was undeniable. Although her external beauty was marred by the surgery in the early 1980's, her inner beauty radiated right up until her last breath.
I didn't think I would ever survive losing my Mom. The darkness that followed the days and months after her funeral were indescribable. Yet, in God's comfort, peace and timing, the darkness lifted and what remained were fond memories of the woman my Mom had been. Memories of times spent together traveling, shopping (although she hated shopping), watching television, or just sitting at the kitchen table over a cup of tea flood my mind. When I slow down long enough to remember the woman who gave birth to me and my 5 siblings, I don't remember those times of frustration because Mom wasn't able to be there for me in her later days. Instead, I remember the good times, the lessons she taught me and the godly example she was for me.
I remember my Mom telling me many years ago that something "magic" happens when you have a child. Never having that experience I will never fully understand what she meant, but I do know one thing ~ something "magic" happens too when you stand beside your ailing parent, caring for them and preparing to say good-bye. It was hard six years ago to let her go. There is no doubt about that. Yet, I wouldn't trade those moments by her bedside, saying those last few words of love and affirmation before sending her off to meet Jesus. Those were sacred moments that I treasure in my heart... especially on this date each year. Today is my Mom's Heavenly "birthday" and I am so glad that I have the peace of Jesus, knowing that she is whole and happy in His presence.
About a week or so after we laid Mom to rest I happen to have the local Christian radio station on inside my car. I had never heard this song before, but it was exactly what I needed to hear as I grieved my Mom. What comfort these words were to me, as I could "Only Imagine" Mom in her new Home, Sweet Home.
Here's another great video from Mercy Me at the Dove Awards in memory of my Mom:
I love this other song Mercy Me sings at the end of this video, Finally Home. One day Mom and I will be praising God together in our new Heavenly homes! I love you Mom and I'll see you someday soon!



6 comments:
Beautiful words about your mom, and how wonderful that you can remember the wonderful times you did enjoy with her.
We are starting a series called "Afterlife" at church next week, and I am going to pass on the Mercy Me's "Finally Home". I forgot about that song, and it would be perfect. Have a great week Susie Q-I love saying that since that was my nickname as a child.
What a beautiful woman.
That is a perfect song...It always gives me goose bumps. One day we will be praising God together. What a day that will be!
Beautiful. I absolutely love that song and the promise associated with it.
Thanks for sharing this lovely post with us, Sue!
My thoughts and prayers are with you sweetie, as I head to bed tonight. Your mom looks beautiful, don't you just love those 'old' photos, I think all of our moms looked like movie stars :-)
Love you and hope to chat with you sometime this week.
xxxxx
Hi Sue, I enjoyed your post and the tribue to your mom. I know my days are coming up and so I am trying to make the most of the time I had left with my mom. God bless you my friend. Hugs
Post a Comment