Saturday, October 31, 2009

Trick or Treat!

I'm sitting on the stairs by my front door, laptop on my lap, waiting for little trick or treaters to arrive at my door.  We've already seen some of the cutest, ugliest, laziest and most polite children of our neighborhood.  My favorite so far was the adorable 2 year old "bumble bee" who came to the door earlier tonight.  I wanted to steal her she was so precious!

Hubby and I were undecided up until almost the last minute this year as to whether we'd hand out candy.  We always go through the great debate each October 31st.  I personally don't like dark & evil creatures broaching my front stoop begging for candy, although as a kid I LOVED trick or treating.  The cute little ones though I'd dump the whole candy bowl into their bags they are so precious.  Each year we take into consideration what we would do instead of handing out candy.  Usually, when Halloween falls on a weekend, we will choose to go out for dinner and a movie but this year there was no movie we wanted to see so this afternoon around 4pm we braved the Wally World (Wal-mart) in search of candy.  Fortunately, there was some left (or is that unfortunately) and we grabbed bags of delicious mini chocolate treats to toss into the bags, bowls and pillowcases of neighboorhood children.

Okay... so the "Scream" guy just showed up at my door... right down to the skeleton pillowcase.   I rest my case. Sigh!

As I think about Halloween I'm reminded of work.  A week ago Friday I was in training for my new part-time "temp" job.  The receptionist who was training me seemed sweet, but one thing didn't sit well with me... her choice of necklace.  Around her neck she wore a pentegram.  Kinda freaked me out... I won't lie.  This Friday, as I sat at the desk and googled doctor's numbers I happened to look at the "history" in Firefox.  Imagine my surprise when I saw where this young woman has been surfing at the same desk we share (me from 10-2; her from 3-6 or 8)... sites on levitation, astrology, hypnosis, etc.  Thankfully, He Who is in me is greater than he who is in the world and so after the shock wore off and so had my emergency call to my hubby, I prayed over our shared work station, asking for the Blood of Jesus and the Light of Jesus to pour over and flood the office and desk area.

What replaced my shock and initial fear that day became a great burden for this young lady.  She is so obviously searching for something, yet doesn't realize there is Someone who has all the answers to her heart's cries.  I believe God has placed me in this temporary job not only to help out  my next door neighbor's BFF, but to pray for this young woman and to bring Jesus' Light and Life to the office.  Even though I'll probably never see this young woman again, I will pray a blessing over our shared work space each time I am there.  My prayer is that she will find the One True answer to what her heart so desperately seeks.

So... it's now much later than when I started this post.  Hubby and I had surprise trick-or-treaters show up to our door... a dear friend visiting from Minnesota and her precious twin 3 yr old children, all decked out for Halloween, and her sister who we've known for awhile as well.  We had a wonderful visit with good news that she is hoping to move back home to Canada in the New Year with her kiddos.  This was really good news as "S" is my "spiritual daughter" that I had the privilege of taking part in God's bringing her into His family back when I worked with Youth for Christ.

The front light is now off and hubby and I are going to take a few leftover treats down to the family room, put our feet up and watch some t.v. or a movie.  Happy Halloween!

7 comments:

Abby said...

We handed out candy today too. I don't mind handing out candy early in the night because usually that is the time that the families with young kids come around and they are just too cute. It's the teenagers who aren't dressed up that come out later on that drive me crazy! This year we actually had parents DRIVING their kids from door to door instead of walking them! Can you believe it? It was brisk out but not freezing! We also had a little boy that just walked into our house and his mom couldn't get him to leave! HA. Never had that happen before!

I hope that you are able to show Jesus' love to your new co-worker. I'm sure God has placed you there for his purposes!

He & Me + 3 said...

I love seeing all the little sweet costumes. The scary stuff I can for sure do without. My kids just like the free candy. LOL
That scream guy is just creepy.
Hope you had a nice night. we did:)

Joyce said...

seriously, what is up with the 16 year old kids in no costume?

Denise said...

We had a fun night and thankfully there weren't really any scary costumes, although some of the older kids had yucky makeup on (imo) but they didn't stay around for long.
I posted to my blog Kiki's pics ;)

Susan said...

I only got 10 kids at my house, I always love seeing the little ones all decked out but the older kids need their parents to say you are too old!

Darylynn said...

Hi Sue! We live at the end of a cul de sac, no houses across the street and at the top of a hill so we had one knock on the door. 3 teenagers-- one in an orange jumpsuit that said Correctional Institute. They were polite enough and it was early in the evening. I wrote about Ryan's attempts to trick or treat for my blog entry Monday. :) Have a great November ahead! (((Hugz)))

Country Mouse, City Mouse said...

I love seeing the little ones coming, they are so cute and excited by the whole night.

Hope you had a great weekend.