Monday, November 2, 2009

Went Shopping for One Thing... Came Home with Something Completely Different!

This weekend was a blur!  Hubby and I ventured out Saturday morning in search of comfortable seating for our basement Family Room.  We searched the most popular furniture stores in our area, driving miles and miles.  Along the way we got sidetracked by a steal of a deal on a French-Door refrigerator that we almost picked up on the spot, but thought we'd better check the size in the kitchen at home first.  Good thing we did... it wouldn't have fit!javascript:void(0)

After our full day of searching we came home and after trick or treaters and our surprise guests left, I set out to make a little graph-paper model of our family room to see if the 3 piece sectional we found would fit.  We measured, I cut and paste, and we came to the conclusion that it could fit, but we'd have to totally rearrange the room and it would overpower the space.  Needless to say though, we were still interested.

Sunday afternoon, hubby & I head back to Sears to look at the sectional again.  Oooh how I love this sectional.  It is EXACTLY what I want but as we continued to measure and contemplate it's size, we sadly realized that it will not fit down the staircase and around the "S" shaped hallway - darn stupid house!  Meanwhile, in earlier wanderings inside the Sears showroom, we came upon a buffet and hutch that was marked down 50%.  Sweet!  We thought about it, measured and decided to have the saleswoman put it on hold for us until we could go home, measure and change vehicles.  (We had driven to Sears in the Honda).

Back at home we measured again the stairwell and had to put the dreams of the sectional to rest once and for all but now we had great hopes in this buffet for the dining room.  Let me tell you... we have been married 15 years and the entire time, my good china has been in the William Ashley boxes it arrived in and the crystal was all boxed and stored in the blanket box we've used as a coffee table.  The thought of a buffet and hutch more than delighted me... and half price to boot!

Satisfied that the buffet and hutch would fit in the dining room, we ventured back to Sears, this time in the Santa Fe.  Hubby helped the stockroom guy put the buffet in the back and we head for home.  I left hubby there and went back to the store (about a 5 minute drive) and picked up the hutch.  I was like a pig in poop last night organzing and filling my new dining room piece.  Wanna see?  This first picture was taken last night...




With the great price came a little downside... one of the bottom cupboards was missing a knob... so... today I went to Home Depot and found some new knobs to fix the problem... as well as to spruce it up.  Here's what it looks like today with the new knobs:




I found little wrought iron button knobs to tie in the new piece with the existing chandelier and wall sconces.  Yay!

Also, while I was out today, I stopped and picked up the coffee table hubby & I had been eyeing on Saturday at the very start of our journey.  It was a floor model and I was thrilled to find it still there when I arrived this morning.  The man at the store put it in my vehicle and then I courageously lugged it into the house myself.  I love pine!  So light and easy to manage on my own!

Here is the living room with the new table in place:




So, long story short... we went shopping for one thing and came home with something completely different... yet things that we needed probably more than the original item! Guess God knew what we truly "needed" more than what we simply wanted at this point.  The downstairs furniture is still on the list, but it feels great to finally have a home for my good china and crystal!




11 comments:

Mikki said...

Sounds like a fun and surprising weekend!! LOL!

we've had things like that happen on shopping trips too!

Enjoy the new goodies!

Cindy said...

Sue, I love your goodies. Your hutch is awesome. I would love one like that. Your coffee table is great too. I like pine too. My old bedroom was pine and I loved it. Tori will get it now. :)

Sounds like you had a wonderful weekend. Hope you have a blessed week.

Hugs,
Cindy

Melissa Miller said...

Hello Sue,
It's so nice to meet you! Thank you very much for entering my giveaway and for following along as well. You're always welcome anytime. I look forward to getting to know you better my friend.

Isn't that a great day you had! What a gorgeous new buffet piece. It looks so pretty and like it was always meant to be in the room. ~Lovely! The table and your home are just beautiful as well.

Many Blessings and Happy Fall!
~Warmly, ~Melissa :)

He & Me + 3 said...

Oh I love shopping and bringing something home. Hoe fun. That is just beautiful. I love it! Gorgeous

Abby said...

I love that hutch! My china and stemware are still in their boxes also! So I completely understand:) I love the black knobs that you put on it too! Looks great! Don't you just love when deals just work out perfectly like that??

Denise said...

Oh I love your new stuff, the hutch looks great, I don't blame you for getting excited about it :) Ahhh, now I can see where your tv is, you never did let one when I mentioned it in one of your other posts (at least I can't remember you doing so!).
Your home looks so cozy, one of these days I'm gonna see it for real
xxxxx

Lindsy said...

Sue -

Love the hutch: so cute. All of my china is still in the boxes too - so sad that you register for all those items and get so excited when you get them only to have them sit in boxes for years right? Sheesh!

Too bad about the sectional but something will turn up and you will be glad the first didn't work out - it always works out that way.

Sounds like a fun weekend!

Tracey said...

Hi Sue! I love your new furniture! When I go to stores for a certain item I can never find what I'm looking for so I usually come home with something else too :O) The questions are from The Simple Woman's Daybook at http://thesimplewomansdaybook.blogspot.com

Big hugs!!

Susan said...

Hi Sue, I love your new furniture and how clever of you by adding the new door knobs. Very homy and now you can use the china. I am thinking of selling mine.

Anonymous said...

I love your new hutch and coffee table! It looks so inviting in your home! Sorry about the stairwell and limited space to move furniture downstairs. That can be tricky. I hope you find something that works.

~Pam~ said...

Hi Sue! I love the new furniture!! That hutch is delightful. Thank you for sharing the pics!
I have had my great grandmothers china stored for years..never been out of the box since it was given to me. I just don't have a safe place to display it.

Hope you are having a nice evening.
HUGS