Then, as he recited off a few scenarios, such as "if you've ever lost a job" or "if you've ever felt alone in a crowd", we were to get up from our seats and exchange our piece of paper with someone else. A symbolic gesture to let them know we understand. I liked this exercise because I know all too well the importance of someone coming alongside and saying those 5 "magic" words.
Two events in my life come to my mind where those words were like balm to my parched, wounded soul. One was after my Mom died in 2003. For almost a year after her death, I felt as if I lived in a black hole. Never before, not even in the height of infertility grief, had I felt so alone. Then, my childhood and still BFF would every so often call and check in on me. She understood. Her Mom had passed away shortly after she & I both got married in 1994. She knew how it felt so her radar was on and she made sure to be there for me. After the 1 year anniversary of Mom's death, my radar had kicked in too and most of the time, I am able to walk alongside a friend as my BFF did because I can relate to what they are going through.
The other event that impacted my life in this area was a few years ago. Realizing that menopause was fast approaching and children were still nowhere on the horizon of our home, I knew that I needed to wrestle through with God this fertility issue once and for all: how could I bear to live the rest of my life not ever becoming a Mom? This reality frightened me. It crippled me with pain ~ a pain so great I didn't know if I would ever survive it. I needed God's help for this. Scouring Scripture for examples of barren women, I couldn't find a single one who never got their child. How do I do this? I would cry out to God.
Then I began to revist again the "door" of adoption that God had closed back near the start of our journey. I had never and have never felt a "call" to adopt but I was open to it a little if God truly wanted hubby and I to go down that road. I began researching and praying, opening the door a crack to see if God would fling it open in my heart and in tangible ways. Instead though, He did something else. I don't remember how it happened, but God led me to not one but two books, both written by Christian women who were infertile ~ both who never had children, both who never became Moms.
I devoured these books and the one in particular (I can't remember the name or author right now) made me, for the first time in about a decade, feel "normal". She got me. Written on the pages of her book she said, "I know how you feel". And she survived! This was a turning point for me. This was a huge step. It was as if she took that big old bowl of lemons, handed them to me and said, "Girl... go make yourself some lemonade!"
So as I think back to these two milestones in my life, I am reminded from yesterday's sermon the importance of community. Whether it's our neighborhoods, churches, or here online, we are all part of community. When we stand together, holding each other's hands and hearts, and say "I know how you feel", life gets just a little bit easier. Can you identify with someone who is hurting today? Is there someone you need to say those 5 words to? Maybe like me back then, you need someone to say those words to you. Ask God to bring someone with a vial of healing balm in their words to walk alongside you. We need each other. Life is too hard to walk alone.
Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed. If one person falls, the other can reach out and help. But someone who falls alone is in real trouble. ~ Ecclesiastes 4:9,10


11 comments:
Sue,
What a very powerful post. I am very sorry for the passing of your mom. I can't often say I know how others feel. However my sister died in 2005 and shortly after I moved away from my family. I met a teenage girl in our youth group whose sister had also died recently. We were able to cry and talk about the ridiculous things people say (Like I know how you feel because my grandpa died...etc) It was so nice knowing that someone else knew how I felt.
I don't know how it feels to be infertile, but I do know how to pray for you to see God's love and work in your life. You are precious my friend.
Ok well thanks for reading my novel of a comment.
When my mom passed away many many years ago, the most comforting was when people said "I know how you feel" and I knew they had lost their mom and knew exactly how I felt.
This is such a beautiful post. It made me tear up. I love the idea of exchanging a piece of paper with someone else who's gone through the same thing.
Even though I haven't gone through the same struggles you have, I am so glad to know you. You are an inspiration. Thanks for reminding me (every day) through your words to make lemonade :)
It is a healing balm to hear someone say those 5 words to you isn't it?
After Jonathan lost his job, I felt like it opened both of our eyes to that type of loss and now I know how a wife of an unemployed man feels. Once you've been down a road, it gives so much understanding to others.
I have to remember that God has a reason for everything and He will not give me more than what I can handle. It's always good to have close friends come beside you and tell you "I know how you feel."
Hi Sue! I, too, lost my mother- it was in 2002 and being an only child, it was especially hard plus I had lost my dad when I was only 15 years old... so I don know how you feel. I think I've told you this before but my mom was also an only child so I have no aunts or uncles so my whole family basically consists of my nuclear family now. How nice to have my two grandsons now. :)
Congrats on your new Santa Fe! I really like the color, too! Hope you have a great week ahead! (((Hugz)))
What a wonderful post. I love the idea of exchanging these messages!
I love your honest heart and sharing so much of yourself with us.
Thank you also for your sweet comments on my blog.
Blessings
Mikki
What a touching, honest, and powerful post. Those five words really are life impacting. Our Pastor talked about those words in a sermon once too. There is nothing like knowing someone else knows how you feel and that you are not alone.
I loved learning more about you, Sue. I'm sorry for the pain you've been through. You are an inspiration.
So glad you visited my blog today and thanks for the follow. Your post gave me goose bumps. When I found out I had thyroid cancer you do not even know how nice it was to have a young mom that had just gone through the same thing walk with me during my fight. She helped me every step of the way. It was a true blessing to know she knew what I was going through.
Loved this post.
I am going to stick around to read more.
Mimi
HI Sue, that's a nice post. Although it seems to me online is more of clique then a community. But none the less family and church are truly the blessings of the Lord and you can't beat that. I'm sorry you lost your mom, I feel blessed my mom is still hear but she is getting old now, and I worry for the time she will no longer be here, and I wonder how I will deal with it. that scares me!
My daughter is not able to have children due to her husband though not herself. She is 31. It's very hard on her. She has not come to your point yet.
Thanks for visiting me! have a wonderful day.
Hi Sue! I love your post sweetie! Well, I love all of your posts but this one is so uplifting! It looks so pretty in here and cozy feeling. ((BIG HUGS))
That was really moving, Sue. That touched me.
Post a Comment