Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Halfway to Vacation... for Real

It was a very long day for hubby & I yesterday, moreso for him as he worked a full day and then we hopped in the car to start on our way down to NC. We drove for over 9 hours although that wasn't our original plan. At first we thought we'd just try & venture past NYC via any route without a lot of traffic so we ended up sideswiping the Big Apple via New Jersey west of all the chaos of the big city. We hit some heavy rain somewhere near the south-west corner of NJ before heading across the PA border but fortunately it was short lived but oh my what a light show we got with the rain.

After 7 hours of driving (around 11:30) we stopped where we'd hoped to spend the night. Earlier that day I checked the Hilton website for which hotels in that area had space and this one at that time did but I wasn't willing to book during the day. I didn't know if we'd be able to make it that far so to be on the safe side ha ha I thought we'd just wing it. Note to self... do NOT "wing it" when you're talking about late night arrivals in big tourist areas Hershey, PA/Gettysburg/Lancaster County area. Needless to say, the poor man at the counter was understanding of my near hissyfit afterall I was exhausted, not to mention worried about my overworked, overtired hubby and he called down to another Homewood Suites about an hour south along our path that had space.

At midnight we hopped back in the car and whipped down the I-81 to Hagerstown, MD where we checked into our beautiful room at 1am. We'll soon be heading back on the road to Raleigh where vacation can begin!

Before I go to pack up & spend the day in the car, I just wanted to share some exciting news. I told you that I'd keep you updated on P & K and the triplets... well, P has started a blog to capture their journey to parenthood and I've asked his permission to let all of you in on their journey. You can link to their blog "Quickly Outnumbered" and meet my sweet niece and nephew-in-law and can see the first pics of my new "great-niblings". I know they'd love to share the joys of the journey as well as the prayer needs!

Okay... better get off here so we can hit the road! See you in Raleigh!

5 comments:

Goat Gal said...

have a great vacation! Crumby about the hotel. Bravo for being so perky today.

Abby said...

That sounds like a nightmare! I hate being tired and needing to find a hotel! I'm glad you're on to your vacation! You'll have such fun at your sister's house. Thanks for linking your nephew's blog. It's cute.

Anonymous said...

Darling site! I am a lemonade maker myself. No matter how sour life gets, there's always sugar!!! Oh, are there any other shoes besides flip flops? They are my feet's best friends!

Amy said...

Hi Sue! Yup, Im catching up on the blogging world! Ive missed it!! You have been a Globe Trotter lately! hehe! Take me with you next time! hehe! Glad youre having fun with the hubby! When you get back we MUST schedule a date! My summer schedule is winding down so Im pretty flexible in September. Take care sweetie! Hugs!

Tammy said...

Wow, what an adventure. Glad you made it to NC safely and I hope you are having a great time. Love ya and miss ya! xo