It was a very different birthday this year, not being home or at my sister's and having no birthday cake. I made hubby sing to me while I blew out an imaginary candle on a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup. Talk about desperate for "the norm"!
It was a great day though despite being different. Hubby & I slept in and then head downtown Boston. We booked tickets for the 1pm "Historic Harbor Cruise" departing from Long Wharf. We had a few hours before the boat left so we wandered around the historic streets of Beantown.
I love Boston for it's mix of history and the present mingling together in the cobblestoned streets. In this picture you can see the Old State House, home to where the Colonials decided to have their "tea party" in the Boston Harbor.
Old State House Walking the old city streets I would look up in wonder. They sure don't make buildings like this anymore...

After walking these old streets in search for a CVS... I needed anti-naseau medicine for the boat cruise... just in case we head over to Faneuil Hall (pronounced like Daniel) and Quincy Market to take a peek around.
Even "the boys" got to come and have fun after all it was Simon's birthday too!
Couldn't quite figure out who the bronzed guy was but he had something to do with Boston sports, we think
Quincy Market and the colonial red-brick building in the background is Faneuil Hall
Even "the boys" got to come and have fun after all it was Simon's birthday too!
Couldn't quite figure out who the bronzed guy was but he had something to do with Boston sports, we thinkRight beside the bronzed guy, you can see a pair of high top sneakers. They are bronzed shoes once worn by Larry Bird, a well-known NBA icon back in my high school days. My old boyfriend and brother LOVED watching basketball so I knew who Larry was.
My feet are size 7 to give you some perspectiveLong Wharf
The day was SO hot and humid but on the boat there was a nice breeze. Here's a pic of the Boston skyline from the middle of the Boston Harbor...
Boston Skyline
Boston SkylineAt one point on the cruise, they stopped the boat near the Logan airport so we could watch planes land...
which was really cool... especially when it flew RIGHT over our head...
Got chills as the plane went over our heads! This pic was NOT zoomed btw!
Got chills as the plane went over our heads! This pic was NOT zoomed btw!As we made our way back into the Boston Harbor heading over towards the Charles River, the Old North Church spire shone in the distant sun. I could imagine that night as British ships were in the harbor just before Paul Revere & company made their ride through the cobblestoned streets and surrounding areas.
Old North Church spire is in the center of the picOn the cruise we also passed by "Old Ironsides" aka U.S.S. Constitution, the U.S.A.'s oldest commissioned navy ship...
"Old Ironsides"
and we even a little piece of home on the cruise...
Canadian Coast Guard ships in Boston Harbor
Canadian Coast Guard ships in Boston HarborOnce off the cruise we hoofed it over to the North End which is the Italian section of Boston and where Paul Revere's house and Old North Church stand. Hubby took me out for a delicious early dinner here...
Giardino's in North End Boston
Don't you love the bowl it's in?
Giardino's in North End BostonDon't you love the bowl it's in?
and then while hubby enjoyed the lobster ravioli, I had the regular kind. It had THE creamiest cheese filling I've ever tasted. It was SO light and fluffy!
Me and my delicious birthday meal
Me and my delicious birthday mealAfter we ate, we head back to the hotel where hubby got back to work and I enjoyed a quiet evening catching up with Facebook and Twitter messages (again... thank you guys!) and a phone call from my sister in NC. It was a very good day and I didn't even cry once that I hit the midway mark of my 40's!










6 comments:
How did I miss your birthday! Looks like it was delightful! Happy belated birthday Sue!
Glad you had a good birthday Aunt Sue! Boston is my favorite US city and your pictures bring back lots of memories!! No Red Sox game though? That's a big part of Boston culture!
Have a good trip!!
It looks like you had a good birthday. Lol at the imaginary candle on your Reese's cup! Love it.
Keep having fun!
Happy Birthday!! Looks like a wonderful day and time was had!! Lucky gal!!
It sounds like you had a great time! I hope you get some cake when you get to NC! What's a birthday without cake? It's the one day...er...week that I don't feel guilty for going back for seconds and then just finishing it off myself! :) HA! I loved those dishes! The bowl your ravioli was in was awesome!!! Man! Now my mouth is watering and we just ate dinner...what's a girl to do? :)
It's always great to see pics of
"the boys." They look great. :) Happy birthday a little late. What a great way to celebrate.
Post a Comment