Saturday, August 15, 2009

Beantown Baby!

Our day started early as we packed the trunk and hit the road at 6:50 am heading across the U.S. border towards Beantown... or Boston for those not in the "know" ;-) By the way... do you know why Boston is called "Beantown"? I didn't but I of course had to "google" it. You can find the answer HERE.

As we drove along the I-90 we saw lots of God's beauty from the windows of the car...

Mr. Sun peeking through the clouds east of Buffalo, NY


Don't you love seeing those sunrays poke through the clouds? Last weekend we were discussing that on our way home from the 1000 Islands. The rays look like God's fingers reaching down to earth we concluded.

Berkshire Mountain Region in Massachusetts

It's a very pretty drive through upstate NY and western MA. This year in particular everything is so green from all the rain we've had up here in the North.

There was also some of God's beauty inside the car too...

Hubby's a good sport, letting me take pics while he drives ~ he even smiled for me!


A 9 or so hour drive can get a bit boring so I thought I'd make good use of our time...

Don't you love my cheesy smile?

Around 4:30 we arrived at our hotel and checked into our room...

Our room at the Hampton Inn

and then head for downtown Boston.

Driving into Boston on I-93

We parked in the underground lot at Boston Common...

Boston Common Park

where they were preparing for Shakespeare in the Park...


A Comedy of Errors was tonight's Shakespeare in the Park

but we didn't stick around to watch. Instead, we walked over to Beacon Hill...

Beacon Hill is one of the oldest and most prestigious neighborhoods in Boston


to have our picture taken outside Cheers...


Standing at the place where everybody knows your name

before walking over to the Charles River.

At the dock along the Charles River


The sun was beginning to start it's descent as we walked to the river's edge. We walked past this statue ...

Arthur Fiedler, former famous conductor of the Boston Pops Orchestra

which brought back memories of my Mom and her Boston Pops records playing as part of the soundtrack of my youth. The Boston Pops and many other great symphony orchestras play here...

Hatch Shell

particuarly on the 4th of July.

Along the Charles River, tourists and locals can enjoy a gondola ride...

Strangers, off on a romantic sunset gondola ride

or a beautiful sunset sail...

The sun beginning to set on the Charles River


As much as we would have loved to stay for the play in the park, we decided to head back towards the hotel. We had a quick dinner at Chili's and took an expensive jaunt around Barnes and Noble. I am officially a bookaholic! After a quick workout, hubby is busy working while I blog about our day.

Tomorrow (which is now today by the time I finished this post) we're hoping to get on a harbor cruise so I'll let you know about that if we get on!

Good Night from Beantown!



8 comments:

Denise said...

So happy to hear news of the babies, I will continue to pray for everyone.
Love seeing the pictures, yay CHEERS, I used to love that show. Can you actually go in there? You didn't mention it so I'm assuming not. We'll be leaving at 10am this morning and back next Thursday. I'll miss being online but hope to have a ton of fun with Kiki before we're back to school.
Love you, 'see' you when we get back
xxxxx

Country Mouse, City Mouse said...

Have a great time. I love those eastern states.

I especially enjoyed your pic in front of Cheers.

Be safe and have fun.

xox

Anonymous said...

Great pictures! You are truly a traveling girl! Wish I could go to the places you get too. :) Have a great time in Boston.

Abby said...

It looks like you are having a great time so far! I've never been to Boston...it looks great!

Susan said...

Happy Birthday Sue! Love the pics. Have some chowder for me. Hugs

Anonymous said...

Great pictures! I LOVED Cheers! I was so sad to see that show end. It was like an old friend, and I still watch a repeat if its on. A friend went there and said the inside looks nothing like the set...did you peek inside? That is an adorable picture of you and hubby!

I can't wait to hear about your harbor cruise! Enjoy.

Sarah Wylie said...

Happy Birthday, Sue! It looks like you're having a fun time!

~Kacy~ said...

Hope you had a great birthday. Boy are you the queen of pictures. I felt like I was traveling with you! LOL Thanks for sharing and that cloud picture in the beginning, it beautiful! Take care sis!

Kacy