Sunday, July 19, 2009

Sunday Musings

The weekend is coming to a rapid end and not too much exciting happened around the ole Nest the past few days.

Saturday afternoon hubby and I hung out by the pool for a couple of hours. When we got back home we booked our summer vacation which has me beyond excited. We won't leave for awhile but just knowing what's up ahead will keep me anticipating sun, sand and surf! Yep... heading back to the ocean. Myrtle Beach this year and just the two of us after a week with my sister and her family in NC. Stay tuned for more on that later!

Saturday night hubby and I went downtown to RibFest with two of my nephews. There was a good number of people down there but fortunately the lines weren't too long waiting for food. I had a pulled pork sandwich while the guys chowed down on the ribs. When we first sat down, we listened to a pretty good blues band but after their set was done another group got up which wasn't my cup of tea. Just a little too new music for me.

Today was just a quiet day of church and home. Hubby spent time napping and doing some work he brought home from the office while I continued obsessing about The Bachelorette. It really is a sickness. Even hubby is ready to have me committed.

I'm beginning to realize, as I read the message boards and the various different "theories" people have about the surprise twist ending, that how we see life is deeply related to our personal experiences. For some, like myself, we cling to the hopeless romantic views of life, believing in the impossible, while others are straight facts people, believing only in the "facts" even when those"facts" are manipulated by outside sources. We each carve our "reality" out of the building blocks of our belief system. Sometimes those realities leave us empty and hopeless. Other times we are left with the anticipation of love and joy beyond belief.

I think that's how some people view religion. Truth today has become more a matter of "opinion" and "what I THINK (or feel) the Bible says" more than factual Truth. Think Oprah. Just because she doesn't think Jesus is the only way to Heaven, she tells her audiences that is not true. Hearsay and rumor become fact all of a sudden. One person makes a statement and then an email is sent across the wires spreading that news like wildfire, spreading lies and mistruths until truth is lost in the abyss.

So how do we not get caught up in the crazy rumor mills and webs of deceit in our world? By spending time with God in the Word. I know that I need to keep my feet grounded in the ultimate reality and the only way I can do that is by going to the Source of Truth, the Bible. I may not always understand it, but I believe in the One who makes sense out of the impossible. He is the Author of Life and He won't lead me astray. His reality is full of hope and is better than any human could ever dream.

Not sure how much sense any of that made (as you can tell the more reality t.v. I watch (over and over and over again) the more my mind turns to mush!).

4 comments:

Cindy said...

Well said Sue!

Hope you have a great week sweetie. I hope to enjoy my last few days before heading back to work. ;(

Hugs!

Denise said...

Hi sweetie, well at least you don't lose site of the real truth in all that 'reality stuff' you watch ;-)
Hope you have a great day, it's just me and Kiki this week and I think we're gonna be lazy!
Might catch you around sometime, I'm on here quite a bit at the minute.
Love ya
xxxx

Abby said...

Yum..That ribfest sounds good! Makes me hungry for dinner:) Sounds like you had a great weekend! You must not have had the cold front that we had down here because it was way too cold for a pool!:) Lucky you!

Sarah Wylie said...

Okay, Sue, were you in my church yesterday? Because we had a sermon on that exact topic.
Great post! And, um, did you watch Big Brother? ( I think it's feeling a little left out with all the Bachelorette talk;-)