Whatever happened to the honor system in our society? You know what I'm talking about. Respecting one another. Following the rules.
Our townhouse community has a pool that our complex shares with the complex to our north. For the past 14 years we've lived in our townhouse, every summer the pool has had a lifeguard protecting and monitoring. This year the condo board decided to switch the pool from chlorine to saline (or whatever the salt-water type pools are called) and forego the lifeguard. At first I thought it was a great idea. Having had a pool in the backyard growing up, I hated having a stranger stare at me while I huffed and puffed my way through laps. But all that has been changing lately.
When the pool switched over from lifeguard to no lifeguard, the hours of the pool changed as did the scheduled "adult time" swims. Fair enough. From 5pm to 7pm each evening the pool is supposed to clear out of all children under the age of 16. Unfortunately, though, few seem to want to go by the rules.
Yesterday, hubby went for a swim after work. As the clock turned 5pm, a gentleman in the pool with a handful of kids with him, asked hubby, "Do you need a lane?" Hubby is very gentle and quiet and didn't want to kick the guy out, but it bothered him. Obviously, the man knew the rules of the pool but just chose not to follow them. What's with that?
This afternoon, hubby and I went over to the pool around 4:30 when he got home from work. Again, there were about 8 people in the pool and not a single one budged at 5pm to get their small children out of the pool. By 5:15 I was getting perturbed but was, like hubby, too timid to enforce the rules, partly because it's not my job to police the pool (or is it?) and I really don't want my neighbors hating me and thinking of me as the mean child-hating barren woman.
Needless to say, we intend to write a letter to our condo board to complain about these new pool rules and the lack of enforcing. But what really bugged me was the fact that we HAVE to complain and enforce the rules. What happened to people just following the rules. Every single person got the letter telling us the pool hours. It's open from 9am to 9pm with only 5-7pm set aside for adults only. Is it THAT difficult to take your children home for 2 hours at dinnertime? Geesh!
I think this incidence speaks to a deeper problem. We live in such a self-centered, disrespectful society now that rules really don't mean anything. Every day as we drive around our city, shop in our malls and live in our own homes we see the effects of the sinful nature. Numero Uno is most important to the majority of people and if they don't like the rules, they just ignore them ore rewrite them. It's tragic!
Just had to get that off my chest!
Just a quick little blurb about my obsesession tonight... WOOHOO... Reid WILL be back on the finale!!! A true love story might just happen this year on the Bachelorette!!! I only have one more week left of my obsessive behavior (I hope) and then hubby can stop laughing at me, I can sleep properly again, and clean my house - lol. It's gonna be a great show next Monday... I can barely wait!


8 comments:
You know folks who don't follow the rules really bug me as well. I have a friend who continues to wander around stores and shop after they have announced they are closing. Really urks me. Rules are rules for a reason. *This coming from the mom who got her 3 year old out of bed at 9pm (he was still awake) to go swimming in the ocean while on vacation. Vacation rules are different :)*
You are such a hoot....your posts are always very entertaining and I enjoy them.
We haven't had this years Bachelorette yet, but at least when we do I'll be able to ask you all the inns and outs won't I! I wouldn't worry baout it too much if I were you....we all have things we enjoy and I don't see any harm in it, so enjoy! Just depends on what floats your boat. Some might say that grown men chasing a little football around for hours is stupid and even more so when thousands gather to watch them do so.....just enjoy your shows and just think of the better sleep you'll soon have, not to mention the gleaming house when the series is over.
Enjoy your week sweets. Lots of love 'n hugs, J ;) xx
A sign of the times! And it's so aggrevating!!
we've never had a pool attendant at our pool cos it's only 3.5ft deep all over! but we had the same problem this year and recently got a letter saying if people didn't abide by the rules they would have to have it monitored and we the residents would pay for it through our HOA payments being increased! To be honest I will gladly pay if I have to cos I hate when people so blatantly ignore the rules. For instance while my sis was here I saw the pool gate propped open every time we went down there, I would close it behind me every time, but the next day it was open again. They've added an alarm since, so people can't do this. Then there was a day when a girl brought her dog in to the pool area, and a young guy (he must have known her) shouted 'hey, no dogs allowed' to which she just replied, 'oh she's no bother' and proceeded to tie the dog up under the shade where the chairs are! That same day a girl was sitting on the edge of the pool with a cigarette!!! And all the while there are notices on the wall 'NO DOGS' NO SMOKING ALLOWED'... it really annoys me too Sue, so you're not alone.
Grrrrr! On a lighter note, enjoy your Bachelorette.. and that's all I'm gonna say about that bit!
;-)
xxxxx
It bugs me too when people don't follow the rules. I'm also too timid to really tell people off so I end up just sulking to myself and getting mad in private, lol.
Anyway, I think you should definitely write that letter.
As for the Bachelorette - I missed it!! What does that mean that Reid is back??? Why? HOW?
I might have to scour Youtube for this episode I missed and the preview for next week.
Don't blame me. I'm such a rule-follower that people make fun of me.
It's the whole pushing the limit thing. It is a sign of the times. Just watched something on the world news about an SUV flipping over and the neighbors pulled a mom and two young children from the burning car, risking their own lives. I needed to see that act of caring. Just when life seems so harsh, you see something like that and it makes you appreciate your fellow man.
I would be annoyed with the pool thing too! Only I would probably say something and be the hated woman in the condo association. ; )
Amen! I couldn't have said that better. I was in the doctor's office today and this mother and father were letting their two small children run crazy. They kept playing with the automatic handicapped doors and making them open (which was noisy)over and over and over. There was even a SIGN that said, DO NOT ALLOW YOUR CHILDREN TO PLAY WITH THE DOORS!!! Oh my goodness! I wanted to go smack the parents myself! How do people not have manners to follow the rules??
Post a Comment