Thursday, July 23, 2009

Hopeless Romantic

I was lying in bed minutes ago, thinking about what else, the Bachelorette. Then I started asking myself, What is it about this season that has me so obsessed? and here's what I think it is. I am a hopeless romantic... in a BIG WAY. I have always had the "Cinderella Complex" including the fairytale ending. So much so that I actually feel like I got my fairytale ending when I married my hubby.

As I mentioned in another of my posts about this soon-to-be over obsession, that I have seen (or at least what I'm interpreting) as the possible fairytale ending this season between Jillian and Reid. The way they interact with one another and the endearing gaze into one another's eyes, the body language and giggles. I see the glow they emit when they are together which I don't see with her actual Final 1 and Final 2 choice. (She let Reid, aka Prince Charming, go last week... remember my tears - lol). As I was lying in bed (trying to not chatter hubby's half-asleep ear off) I thought back to that same glow I had 15 years ago and the same glow my niece wore 3 years ago when she had found her Handsome Prince.

It's a fact. I love a good love story. I love to read them. I love to watch them in the movies I see and obviously the t.v. shows I love (like The Bachelorette... and Pushing Daisies). I can't get enough of them but I think that's okay. God made me this way.

I think God made women in particular with that longing in our hearts to be His Princess. He created us to desire to be found captivating and to have our Prince Charming ride up on his white steed to sweep us off our feet. But more importantly, He wants us to realize that He is our Prince Charming. He is the one who would (and did) go to hell and back to rescue us from the dragons of this world. He longs for us to spend "happily ever after" with Him in eternity. And I think THAT is part of why I am so captivated with this season's show. For once (or twice if you count Trista and Ryan, the first Bachelorette), there is the possibility of a happily ever after and in this world of such negativity, divorce, unhappiness, this show has been a light of hope that fairytales do still exist. And it reminds me, as it has tonight, that because of Jesus and His sacrifice made to rescue me, I can (and do) have that happy ending my heart longs for.

So with that happy thought rolling around in my head, I think I'm ready to sleep!

7 comments:

Kat said...

HI Sue I have no idea what you're talking about until I got to the at first, Reality TV! LOL! the Bachelorette. Do you like that Pushing Daisies is it still on. I tried it but it was kind of odd to me. I don't know I am finicky about TV. Don't like to much of it and esp shows. I like comedy TV sitcoms, but they don't have many on like my old fav's. I do love a good love story movie though, go for it every time. I'm trying to figure out what that photo is the picture of the week, it's on the beach but what's in the photo, is it two people? maybe a child in-between something? not sure?
Okay yes women are certainly different men could live under a rock and be very very happy but women like the whole Cinderella thingy. We are such pains. Have a wonderful week! big hugs

Kat said...

I was not able to type correctly and my words are all jumbled up so hope you can figure out what I am saying? I am a horrid typer! LOL! hope no one reads what I wrote!

Denise said...

See, I just don't get it! If these two are all in to each other what with the endearing gazes etc, then WHY did she let him go? And WHY is he coming back? Drama, drama, drama!!!! (and that's the part I don't like).
I hope it turns out the way you want it, but in reality it often never does :-/

Anita - Soaring Eagle said...

I agree with you SISTER! I love the last part the best on what you said about being a "Princess for Jesus" - yes, God made us that Way! I also liked what you said about your husband - I feel that way too; after 19 years of marriage -- of course not all the time, but I sure am grateful for the one I have. Good POST!

Susan said...

I am a hopeless romantic also!!

Sarah Wylie said...

Sue, have you read the books Wild at Heart and Captivating? Your entire last paragraph pretty much sums up the books. Wish you'd written it before I read them. Saving time to watch more reality TV and all that;)
Anyway, I am also definitely a hopeless romantic, but sometimes I wonder whether I'm the only one left and also, if true love, you know, still exists. Like outside movies.
I love when I find out it does!

PS: You need to do a post on Big Brother when you've gotten the Bachelorette out of your system. That show is giving me a complex!

~Pam~ said...

Hi Sue!
Great post..love reading your writing. :)
I too am a romantic!
Hope you are having a cozy evening.
Love you
xx