I sat by the river's edge in the sun for a few minutes when I first got down from the hotel only to find myself hot and thirsty. The Irish pub attached to our hotel along the Riverwalk was open and so I head in to find myself a wet beverage. It was dark inside, especially having been in the bright sunlight. Lugging my two bags along, I made my way to the back of the pub to the bar area. The bartender asked, "Can I get you something?" to which I replied, "Diet Coke please!" He quickly poured me a "cold one" and as I went to reach into my purse for my wallet he said, "Not to worry. I've got it". Wow... "Thanks" I said with a little shock on my face. Glad I was having a good hair day!
I took my ice cold Diet Coke and sat at a small round table overlooking the river, watching the boat cruises drift by. In between watching my surroundings, I continued to read in my Kristin Billerbeck book (which I soon finished). I took my time sipping my soda and when I was done it was almost time to head up to the hotel lobby to wait for hubby. The sun had moved from the front of the hotel so I sat in the shade (even though the edge of the small wall I chose to sit on was still hot and burnt my buttocks as if I were sitting on the surface of the sun). About 30 minutes later hubby's voice called out to me while my face was stuck in a new book.
Hopping into the Rav-4, I kissed my hard-working hubby and set the GPS for Olive Garden, where we planned to have an early dinner on our way up to Austin. We arrived in Austin shortly after 5pm and checked into our new hotel. Although the room was nice, the view wonderful from our 20th floor room overlooking the State Capital area and University of Texas stadium,
we found the hotel a tad snobby, particularly the patrons near the swimming pool as we took a quick tour of the hotel upon arrival. Don't you hate when you go somewhere and feel the pretension all around you? Why are people like that?Hubby worked out while I stayed back in the room and then around 8:30pm we head down to 6th Street where the streets are lined with live music clubs and entertainment venues. It's been a long time since hubby and I have been out to clubs and sitting in the Pete's Dueling Piano bar
we felt two very distinct things: old (even though the crowd at Pete's was definitely older than younger) and alien. Listening to some of the commentary by the piano players inbetween songs, I was reminded of how as Christians we are aliens in this world. Often, we find ourselves not fitting into the norm of society and we particularly felt this way as the humor went "south" the longer we sat in the club. By 10:30 we had had our fill of the night life and head back towards the hotel. As we neared the hotel, hubby decided he wanted to find the more upscale "Warehouse District" to see if we could find a good jazz club, so we began wandering the streets of Austin.
We sort of found the warehouse district only to find more upscale nightclubs with snotty looking young women with fake breasts hanging out for the world to see. What is it with young women today? Even at my age, happily married I don't let the girl's loose like that! Guess I'm just an old prude but nonetheless, we continued to feel alien amongst the partygoers in Austin.Arriving back at the hotel, the view from our room was beautiful.
I tried to capture it with the camera but I still haven't figured out how to get good night shots - not sure it's possible with a point & shoot camera, especially without a tripod. We asked for late checkout Saturday as our flight home wasn't leaving until almost 5:30 so no need to get to the hotel crazy early. The hotel allowed us to check out at 2pm so we spent a couple hours in the morning, sitting up on the 8th floor poolside,
enjoying the last bit of Texas sunshine we could muster, knowing that the weather at home was nowhere near as nice!The flights home were uneventful, thank goodness and we arrived home after midnight. It was weird coming into the house as this is our first homecoming from a trip since Meg was put down in April. No pitterpatter of kitty feet. No meows "hello" and no cold-shoulder because she was mad at us for leaving her behind. It was rather sad.
Today we've just lazed about. Hubby doing some last minute work related stuff before he goes back to the office tomorrow and me, playing my new Sims3 game on my laptop. I have loads and loads of laundry to start tomorrow morning as well as grocery shopping to do but that's okay. I feel so blessed to have been able to once again tag along with my hubby on his trip. Now all I have to do is get caught up on all my blog-hopping that I've missed while away! I'll be by to visit soon :-D


4 comments:
You are so right about feeling alien in this world. I recently went into a salon in town for a pedicure, and every one of the young ladies that worked there was showing lots of cleavage, tons of makeup, and looked very fake. It seems like that's what the world wants to see. 1 Samuel 16:7 – The LORD does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart.
Glad you had the opportunity to go with hubby and soak up some sunshine. Good luck with the mountain of laundry. ; )
Sounds like you're having a wonderful time. We got our picture with that same guitar!
I'm glad you had such a great time! Sometimes you just have to get away from your own house to be able to relax!
You two are a much braver couple than we are. Must be the country bumpkin in us, and you being the big city dwellers. LOL
I love the shot from your window.
Post a Comment