Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Paths and Plans

I've been thinking today about paths and plans in life.

I went to meet 2 of my sisters for lunch today. I arrived in town early so decided to make a quick stop to pick up a birthday card for my nephew while I killed some time. At the counter, I overheard two of the cashiers discussing "plans". The one cashier was impatiently waiting for her boyfriend to propose so she could get on with her "plans" of having kids. Like that happens easily just because you plan it! I hope it happens for her, but in my experience, the best laid plans don't always work out as WE plan!

I was reminded of a verse God gave me years ago... even before moving to Toronto where God brought me to my hubby. The verse is found in Proverbs 16:9 and says: We can make our plans, but the Lord determines our steps. At that time I was young... or rather youngish... and full of my plans... marriage, children, detached house with a white picket fence. Instead, God determined my steps a little differently. He did fulfill my "plan" (actually more of a hope and dream than plan if truth be told) of marriage, but the detached house and kids... well, we know how that "plan" has worked out so far now don't we!

Here's where the "path" comes in ...

Back at home, Hubby went out to dinner with said nephew (toting birthday card in hand when he left) and I was puttering around the house alone. I decided to sit in the sunny guest room upstairs and grabbed my current read, 90 Minutes in Heaven by Don Piper and Cecil Murphey.

In my current chapter, Don Piper, the man who died and went to Heaven and came back to life again, shared how he had resisted sharing his experience with others until a friend told him the experience wasn't for him alone. This got me thinking. God's plans, although maybe not what we would have chosen for ourselves, and in many cases, like Don Piper's, are fraught with pain and sorrow, aren't meant for us alone.

Often, God uses our altered plans for His glory, to show others His goodness, His faithfulness and His mercy. It really boils down to attitude I think. When our plans don't pan out according to our will, are we able to ride the emotional wave and accept God's steps, trusting that He has a purpose for this altered path for our life? I think after almost 15 years of an "altered path" that I'm finally starting to get with the program!

4 comments:

Judy said...

Wonderful post Sue! God is so awesome in being so patient in what He wants us to learn.

Love your new 'do'...you look so cute in it!

How sweet of your 'boys' to get you flowers for Mother's Day! I bet they (your boys) are always perfect - never messy, never talk back, never get into things, ect. :-) Have a blessed week Sue. Hugs

Country Mouse, City Mouse said...

Hope you enjoyed that beautiful sunshine today.

Beautiful post. God always knew the plan for you! As he does all of us.

See you tomorrow:)

xox

Julie said...

Hey sweets,
I gain much from you wisdom and insight, so thank you for once again telling it like it is and sharing from the heart. You are absolutely right, we can make plans but the final outcome is always in God's hands. I wish I did better at accepting the things I cannot change.....something for me to work on. You're encouraging me in the right direction.

I hope your week is going well sweetie. BTW I just hopped over from Denise's blog following your link and got a message saying your blog is private. So is this blog private? Just wondering if everyone can see it, or just your friends? I guess why I'm wondering is who might get to read any comments left? Either is fine...just wondering. I sometimes think I would share more openly if my blog were private, but then passwords can be a pain for people also. OK.... sorry to prattle on. Love you lots. xx

Cindy said...

Great post Sue. How true. God ALWAYS knows best for us. I know in my life that has always been true, as you know from my recent situations our plans are not always God's. He might have other plans for us that are better than we could ever imagine for ourselves.

Love ya,
Me