I should be writing. In fact, to be more specific, I should be writing my assignment for my Christian Writer's Guild lesson which is due on Sunday. But I'm not. I'm blogging, surfing the net, chatting with my sister-in-law on Facebook. Pretty much doing anything BUT working on my assignment.
I have the utmost awe and respect for fiction writers. How do you do it? I have read and reread my assignment half a dozen times and still... nothing! I feel SO out of my element right about now. I can feel that "I'm in over-my-head" frustration begin to rise. Heart palpitations begin to flutter in my chest and tears want to spring from my eyes. The ticking of the clock gets louder as each passing minute, hour, day goes by. The page is still blank.
Our first question for this assignment wants us to practice filling up three pages: first with random thoughts; secondly, with thoughts about writing and the direction/frustration, etc.; and thirdly, writing about one of the characters from my work in progress. The problem is... I have no real work in progress. I have no character to write about. I'm stumped. I don't know where to start. So I go down to question 2.
Question two wants me to write an outline of my work in progress - at least several pages worth. Aaaaaaaahhhh! I have nothing. No story in my head just dying to come out. I want to scream. I want to cry. I want to quit... but I can't. I won't! I've come this far - Lesson 40 of 52. I can't run now because it's too hard. So I look at question 3, hoping I can at least get something down.
Question three - list half a dozen ideas for stories I hope to write some day and write down the "germ" (picture/thought/idea) for each. Okay... maybe this one I can come up with something, ANYTHING that will jump start the rest. But I can't focus my brain long enough to think of any great "germs". I need help. I need inspiration. I need to pray!
Off I go to do just that and if you don't mind, I'd love your prayers too! This section of my course is only going to get harder from here on in if I have nothing in my think tank at the get go! Yikes!


7 comments:
Father,
Overflow Sue with writing ideas so she can do what You set her on this path to do -- write to glorify You. May her thoughts be Yours, Father God, and may You guide her fingers with every tap of her keyboard. Give her persistence, endurance, and unwavering dedication to the writing gift You have given her to share with others. - Amen
Delighted to meet you. Just found your blog and rejoicing in the sweet nectar flowing over here. Lemonade is a bit to sour for me, but your words are sweet as honey. Just started to write publicly as God pushed me out of my cozy nest and I started a blog, so I understand. But I also know that God will and is using your words to reach the nations. Your syllables spill His love and grace. I got drenched today, I'll be back.
Blessings from this missionary mommy,
Sarah Dawn
Hi Sue, I reckon you just need to think that you're writing your blog because your words just overflow and as for a character well how about Lemonade Lucy or Lemonade Lil :o)) See it's as easy as bloggin. Seriously I know how you feel, I started a writing course several years ago and when it came to putting pen to paper and come up with ideas yep the page was blank. I know you'll do it girl so just put that pen to the paper, pray and it will come.
Hugs Jean x
You are a very gifted writer. It will come and it will be great! :o)
Thanks Sweet Friends for your encouragement. After my little "rant" last night, I was able to get a little bit of my assignment underway and some ideas (not great ones mind you) came to my mind. Hopefully today as I sit with Jesus, He will inspire my mind with better ideas ;-)
I soooooo appreciate the beautiful friends, both long-time and new, God has blessed me with via my blog! God bless each of YOU today!
Hugs :-)
Hi Sue! I see your comment to your readers so I'm glad you have some ideas now. I think you're an excellent writer and even the best get blocked at times. It's especially hard to write "assignments." I hated the tests (like SATs , CBEST) where they give you a subject. Sometimes it's just not inspiring to you. Good luck! (((Hugz)))
I wish I had the talent of being a story teller. We are having our annual story telling festival next weekend, I am always in awe of the amazing gifts these people possess.
Post a Comment