As you will recall if you are a regular lemonade sipper here at my blog, I found a sleeping bandit in one of the trees in our backyard last week. The little raccoon slept soundly amongst the waving branches in the breezy afternoon sunshine.
He was lying in a nest about 2/3 up the tree. Many readers wondered if it was his nest. I am here to update you on the nest our little masked bandit used as his hotel for the day. It was not a raccoon nest (which I didn't think it was). It was in fact, a squirrel's nest (which I did think it was). How do I know you ask? Well let me tell you!
This afternoon as I folded laundry on our bed I gazed out the window overlooking our back yard. Wondering about our little masked friend I looked up into the tree and you wouldn't believe what I saw. Scampering from branch to branch was a little black squirrel. He would hop to a branch and then with one hand/paw he would grab a fresh green newly sprouted branch of leaves. He would break it off and then scamper back to his old dried leaf nest, placing the bright new leaf on top before scampering off to find more.
I watched him for about 5 minutes as he hopped up and down the tree with new sprigs of leaves burrowing himself in the middle of his new fluffy bed. It was fascinating to watch. Eventually his bed was complete and it now sits about 4-6 inches above the old dried nest. Looks like a fluffy, green, leafy cloud!
While witnessing this little creature fix his home I wondered: Is this something he does every Spring? Or is he trying to get rid of that nasty raccoon smell left over by the "Goldilocks" bandit who had taken over his place last week? I guess I'll never know.


5 comments:
Your visiting Bandit is cute! I have always thought racoons are so cute. What a wonderful way to see God's creation at work!
Hi Sue!
Loved reading about your visiting Bandit, too cute! That pic is great!
Have a great week sweetie.
Love and hugs
Hi Sue, what a cute post, I wouldn't be happy if someone had slept in my bed either, I can imagine how cute it was to watch the little black squirrel. Hugs
Hi Sue what a cute story. I love to watch animals and their habits. I hope he stays and keeps you entertained. I like to go to Petsmart and look at the birds and other animals and we love to go to the zoo also. We also have another interesting place to go here to which I think I will take Morgan to this summer. Have a wonderful day sweets. Big hugs
Ah, Sue. Between my ducks and your 'coons, we have the market cornered on cute critter tails--er, tales.
I stopped in to tell you that I just got honored with the "One Lovely Blog Award" and now I'm passing the honor to you!
Tomorrow (Wednesday) the post will show up in 777 Peppermint Place (http://lindayezak.wordpress.com) and you can copy the award from there.
You're not required to play along, but if you'd like to, here's what you do:
Accept the award, post it on your blog with the name and blog link of the person who gave you the award.
Pass the award along to 10 other blogs you’ve newly discovered (or some of your favorites). Remember to contact the bloggers to let them know they have been chosen for this award.
Like I said, you're not required to do any of the above, but I wanted to tell you your blog is mentioned in tomorrow's post.
If you have any question, let me know!
Linda
Post a Comment