Monday, April 6, 2009

Oh Spring... Where for Art Thou?

In my best Shakespearean voice, today I must plead, "Spring, O, Spring... Where for art thou?" Or... perhaps the childlike cry... "Come out, Come out... Wherever you are?" since it seems to be doing a hide and seek thing these days.

Yesterday was a glorious 50 degrees, that's 11 C for my Canadian/European readers. My brain only thinks in Fahrenheit, even though I'm from Canada where metric reigns supreme. I was almost finished high school when they changed to metric from imperial measurement so being the rebel I am, I didn't bother to learn. People tell me all the time it's easy to do the conversion, but what can I say? I was never very good at math and I'm too lazy to learn!

But I digress. So yesterday was sunny, warm and an almost perfect early Spring day. Mostly Sunny Hubby even got the lawn furniture out of the garage and set it up. What happened? This morning it was a freakin' blizzard out there! MushAlright, so I'm exaggerating just a titch, but somewhere in Ontario it's a blizzard. I'm sure of it!

This morning was my first of 3 days going back to my former job to fill in while the regular secretary (the one who replaced me when I quit in Dec '07) is away on a mission's trip. It totally figures that I had to fight the Toronto rush hour traffic in a snowstorm. I HATE driving in the snow and during that time of day is even worse.

It wasn't accumulating, fortunately, but it was just nasty enough to make it slippery and that is never a good thing with the crazy drivers around here! I did have a giggle though as I saw a guy pulled over by the OPP (Ontario Provincial Police). Police I was thinking to myself, What did he do? It sure wasn't speeding! He was probably talking on his cell phone and got pulled over for that. Or maybe forgot to put on his seatbelt. (Not that it was ANY of my business in the first place).

It was freaky being back to the old office. Office It's like I never left on one hand, right down to writing the date on the deposit envelope at the end of the day. I felt like I was in a time warp. As I sealed the envelope I began writing: April 6, 2007... 2007?? Yep... that was the year I left my job and apparently my brain computed the deposit envelope with that year. Rolling Eyes I do think I freaked out a few patients though. They must have been feeling that time warp thing too. Tomorrow's patient list will find that even more as a lot of tomorrow's patients were ones I knew better than today's.

One thing I totally don't miss about work is the crazy, cranky people. I almost got into a fight this morning with a woman who came looking for records from a family member who has moved to the States. Boxing I could not convince this woman, try as I might, that her relative had never had treatment with the doctor. We had NO record of her having any appointments. Sheesh! I think she finally got the hint I wasn't able to help her!

I love how God's timing is always perfect. Going back this week is a beautiful diversion from those first few days of being home without Meg. She will be gone almost a month before I'm in the house by myself all day (Thursday) so this 3 week stint at the office is actually a blessing in disguise. The money will come in handy too! Money 3

Well, I'd better hit the hay. PJsI haven 't felt this worn out in I don't know how long!

6 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Hello Sue, your weather is pretty amazing. I know how you feel but your snow makes me dream. How neat to go back to work for three days, I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope your job is not too stressing today. Hugs

Julie said...

Hey sweets,
Oh wow, I didn't know you were doing a stint back at work. I often wonder how it would feel for me to return to my office. Funny how it seems time stands still when we know for sure it hasn't. How nice that you get to catch up with familiar faces.

I'm just the opposite with the temperature conversion thing. We converted to celsius 30 years ago or more. I did learn F but now am completely used to C and have no idea how to convert the two either. I just keep a thermometer next to my desk that has both. Suits this "too lazy to work it out math challenged lady from Oz"!

Be careful on those slippery roads. I didn't drive in any snow whilst we were in the US...it freaked me out big time wondering how anyone drives on that thick ice and snow and gets there in one piece. I wasn't about to dingle up a car in another country through my lack of snow driving experience.I'm sure you're doing great at it even if you think you're not. *smile*

You have a great day, I'm heading off to bed. Love you lots my sweet buddy. xx

Denise said...

3 week stint?!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh my gosh, I thought it was only a 3 day stint :-0
Oh I do hope each day passes quickly for you.
I can never work the temps out either from F to C, but I've been told it's something like 3 x C plus something, I think 10? so 23c would be nearly 79? I might have to look that up on Google now, you've got me curious.
Anyway, hope your weather improves. It's cold here today, very icy feeling, only 35 this morning and that is FREEZING for us Texans ;-) but it will be in the 80's tomorrow so I'll shut up!

Abby said...

We had snow here too! It actually stuck too! Can you believe that this weekend we had weather in the 70s? My hubby actually got a sunburn from working in the garden on Saturday. And today we woke up to snow on the ground and it snowed all day!! And we don't live in Canada!!! Lexington is the south!!!

I'm sure you'll be sick of the public after 3 weeks! But I'm glad you have that to take your mind off of Meg! That's a long missions trip!

Susan said...

Sue ~ are you saying in your neck of the woods the snow is NOT accumulating? Here in my neck we got 6 plus inches of snow! I have shoveled the walkway already 3 times and am hoping that I won't have to do it again! I am sick of snow and am ready for the spring to come. Don't get me wrong I love winter and find it beautiful but there comes a time when it should end! :)

Tammy said...

Hey sweetie! I've missed you since you have been working this week. I, too, thought it was a three DAY thing--is that a typo? Anyway, I'm still waiting for spring to truly arrive, too. We had a hard freeze last night and it looks like we might have another and ::gulp:: SNOW Sunday night into Monday. I just don't understand this weather at all! Eventually spring will have to win out, won't it? Have a great evening sweetie. Big hugs!!