Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Somewhere Between Dreaming and Doing

Tonight, before I head up to bed, my mind is awhirl with thoughts. Yesterday I received my feedback from my latest assignment on "Writing Drama for Church" and my mentor had very positive comments. In fact, he encouraged me to get two of the 3 pieces I'd written together to send in for publication. Honestly, I am overwhelmed and very unsure of even where to send skits and monologues for publication. My handbook that tells me of all the Christian publishers doesn't seem clear to me on the topic of Church Drama so I'm a little stumped. I'll have to ask my mentor what he suggests for that.

That got me thinking again of my need to be more intentional and focused in my writing. Sometimes I honestly have my mind racing so fast that I don't even know where to begin. Then, that feeling of fear begins to bubble up and like crazy glue, it melds my feet (or fingers) from moving forward. I am unfortunately stuck somewhere between dreaming of being a writer and actually doing it. I think I am afraid to succeed. Does that sound crazy?Crazy

I wonder what it is within our human nature that prevents us from dreaming big. Watching American Idol I see those kids up there on that stage going for their dreams. Why can't I do that in the writing realm? Do I think no one would want to hear what I have to say? Do I believe I really have no talent, despite what people have told me? Honestly, it boils down to FEAR. Joyce Meyer says that Fear is False Evidence Appearing Real.

I am not one of the people on Oprah's bandwagon, nor do I give any credit to "The Secret", but I do believe that our thoughts are very important in how we perceive ourselves. I really need to pick up my Jennifer Rothschild book, Self Talk, Soul Talk again and finish it this time. Focus and belief in the gifts and abilities God has given me is what I need to do. And pray! I need to every morning pray for God's will regarding my writing, whether I'm writing my blog, an email to a friend or working on something to send away for publishing it all needs to be drenched in Holy Spirit induced prayer.

I have found an opportunity through the Christian Writer's Guild website that I should go for and turn that dream into reality. Pray for me that God will guide me in this and if it's His will, I can have the faith and courage to go for it. I'll keep you posted!

No comments: