Monday, February 23, 2009

Exercise is Worship?

One of the total disadvantages of "middle age" (and I can't believe I'm actually beginning to really call myself that!) is the ole "middle age spread" they talk about. You know what I mean girls... that over-40 weight gain they don't really tell you about... where your metabolism decides to take a permanent vacation! Well now that I'm deep in the throws of peri-menopause that little pot belly feels like it's here to stay ... and grow like a bad weed (or become the ultimate muffin top).

So... this morning, in my quest to find focus and balance in my life, decided that once I was finished with my Bible reading I would head down to the "gym" (aka basement family room) and work out. Now... for those of you who don't know me all that well... I'm um.... allergic to exercise (or at least that's the story I'm sticking with!). My face gets all red and flushed and I break out in a sweat. It's not a pretty site!

I can't stress this enough... I HATE to exercise so the only way to actually keep me occupied usually is to watch t.v. while I'm walking on the treadmill Treadmill but the problem is that the bulb went out in our DLP t.v. in the family room this past weekend. What's an exercise avoider to do in this instance? Improvise with the "old fashioned" entertainment... music!

I grabbed my mini Zen (Mp3) and earbuds Musicand hopped on the moving torture machine (aka treadmill). I put it on the "Worship" playlist and began to walk along to Jeremy Camp and the Newsboys. Then it hit me... why don't I make this a regular part of my time with God?


As I walked and rocked out to the tunes I remembered that in 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 it says that our bodies are "temples of the Holy Spirit" and if that's the case, we should "honor God with our bodies". I have to confess that I honestly do not treat my body as if it were God's "on loan" so to speak. I am a Diet Coke-aholic which I know is bad for me... but I can't help it... I like it. I Dunno I also am a bigger fan of sugar than I am of vegetables and I DO enjoy my White Zinfindel wine. Did I mention... I'm a carbo-Queen? Okay. Enough confession. You get the point.

Anyhoo... while I was walking/jogging I was swept up in the moment, thinking of how pleasurable this extra time with God was this morning. I realized then ~ exercise can be a form of worship to God. A "sweet" smelling aroma to God (probably moreso sweet at the beginning of the workout mind you).


Thinking of exercise in this way just may get me off my big ole cellulite filled butt and onto that rotating "worship" machine more often. And who knows... maybe this 40-something will end up with a rockin'-hot "Temple" for God as a bonus! I'll keep you posted on that Winky


Oops... almost forgot. Over at Abby's site she played a little game called 4th 4th wherein you go to your Pictures folder and pull the 4th picture in the 4th folder (I guess if you have everything in folders) ... and then post that picture. My 4th folder was from Christmas this past year so here is my 4th picture in that file:

This is my niece Stef and my nephew's GF, Katie
Aren't they Beautiful!Flirty 2


2 comments:

blessedmomof3 said...

Hi Sue! Love the new blog! Also, hope you are feeling better now since you said you were unwell on Saturday.

Sometimes I wish we had a treadmill. I'd use it while watching Biggest Loser. LOL! I do use my Wii Fit to exercise though. We don't really have any other kind of exercise stuff.

Andrea

Denise said...

Hi sweetie, so glad to hear that you enjoyed the walk today and that you could spend time with God while doing it, that is a super idea. I tried to use the treadmill last week at home and I just can't do it for very long at all! Going to the gym is much better for me and I'm determined to do it on a regular basis because like you say, after 40 those few extra pounds seem to creep on no matter what, but not only that, I want to 'feel' healthy, not just look it!
With that said, I'm off to watch the Biggest Loser, there doesn't seem to be an AI on tonight? :(