Little Miss Meg came into our lives 14 years ago as a tiny bundle of white fluff, along with her "twin" brother, Sydney. Technically they were 2 of 4 "quads" but lost touch with their other brothers at adoption. Poor things!
Meg and Sydney have been great companions
but if truth be told, I'm not hugely a "pet person" so I've often had a love/hate relationship with both cats throughout the past 12-14 years.Poor Sydney, all of a sudden one day was tripping me on the way to his food bowl only to become violently (and terminally) ill the next. We had no idea he was so sick and on Sept 23, 2007, we had to put him out of his misery and release him to "Kitty Heaven". It was a very sad day in the Hawkes' Nest I tell you, particularly for my hubby who was especially close to Syd and had never owned a pet before these two cats.
Well, fast forward to last Spring. Meg, for whatever reason, turned into "Little Miss PEE-Body" and started peeing on the carpet at the basement stair landings... BOTH of them. At first we would steam clean and shampoo almost every day. We took her to the vet's to find out she has thyroid issues which were causing her excess thirst and therefore excess peeing. The medication didn't really help so we stopped it after a few months.
To help with the peeing situation we put plastic carpet runner down ... you know the stuff with the spikes on the bottom. We put that down spikes up to try and deter her from peeing but nope... that didn't work. Next, hubby put clear plastic sheeting up along the wall and floor to try and stop her (or at least protect the under carpet). We purchased "Cat Attract" expensive litter and powder stuff to supposedly draw her back into her litter box. That worked all of what... a day. She currently has TWO litter boxes on the go and some days doesn't even use one of them.

So... here is my dilemma. We are now coming up to a YEAR of this behavior. I am beyond frustrated with the mess and the constant cleaning up, the paper towels on the floor to sop it up. I'm SO ready to send Meg on her way to meet her brother in "Kitty Heaven" but I can't. Is it guilt? Is it conviction? Am I just a ... scaredy cat?

We really don't know what to do. Last year we had talked about moving (for real this time) but no sooner had we had our house appraised then this peeing started. We can't even begin to think of moving anywhere with this problem. Can you imagine someone stepping in piddle as they walk down the stairs to check out the family room at an Open House tour? Our life is on hold while this situation carries on. Meg isn't happy. I'm not happy. Hubby is fine because he is so good-natured that nothing seems to ruffle his feathers.
What would you do?
If you think of it, please pray for us to have wisdom in this. Neither of us wants to make a move outside of God's will in this but sometimes I think I'll go crazy with the mess of this situation. I know when she's gone I'll miss her, but I honestly can't say I am enjoying her much at all these days.
And what if she lives to be 20!


7 comments:
Hi Sue, I enjoyed your kitty post. I can relate because we had lots of problems with our dog. We now have tile downstairs and laminate and tile upstairs. We finally got her trained upstairs with diligent use of treats. Maybe you have to crate her?
Hi Sue! LOVE your new blog! I so enjoyed reading all the posts. Your excercise one had me laughing. I used my excercise time as time with God too...it was 'awesome'!
I could put the kitty to sleep. That's me, but I couldn't. It just seems sad to put her to sleep for having a 'peeing' problem. Could it be anxiety (loss of her brother, ect.)? I feel sorry for her. I know, if it was my house, I wouldn't, you think. :-) I wish I could tell you what to do. Have you prayed for her? I'm serious - God cares about everything that we care about. Hope you have wisdom in this Sue. You know - maybe someone would be willing to take her - problem & all.
Have a blessed week Sue! Hugs!
I meant - I COULDN'T put the kitty to sleep. Sorry! It sounded as though I was volunteering to do it for you! :-) I laughed when I read it.
I think I would get a second opinion from another Vet. There have to be other cats with this problem and maybe another opinion will give you a different option. I know my friend's cat started having this problem and she finally found out that he was depressed and the doctor put him on HUMAN anti-depressants. Once she got him on the correct dosage, the potty issues went away! Just a possibility! She might miss her brother:)
yeha, hubby's probably fine with it cos he's not the one cleaning up the pee every day? :-/
I agree with Abby and Judy, I couldn't really put her to sleep if she's not sick right now, but I would think about getting a second opinion from another vet. It does sound like it could be depression. Did the peeing start not long after you lost Sydney? I'll be praying for you sweetie.
Hi Sue, poor Meg, I think it would be murder to put to sleep a healthy animal. Talking about healthy, I have thought of you & your Meg & I was wondering if it could be a UTI. It happened to Tequila & she would drink tons & need to go out every hours or so & she was very uncomfortable. Another vet might be your answer too. We're all supporting you & Meg too, I hope good thoughts help. Thinking of you, big hugs
HI Sue since you've had her so long I would if it is possible to make her stay in one room, like a laundry room or bathroom that you don't use if it's possible. Personally I could not handle that at all. We would not want to put the cat down but after a year I would be going crazy. I am so sorry you have to face this problem. Take care. big hugs
Post a Comment