Friday, February 13, 2015

WDW and Winter Getaway

Hubby and I just returned a week ago from a much needed winter getaway to Florida.  Last winter we weren't able to sneak away anywhere after our move but this year was definitely going to be different.

We decided to go the last week of January, which if I'm honest, wouldn't be my choice of week to head to Florida as January can be chilly (as we experienced) and to me, that isn't ideal.  January 29 though is my Dad's birthday which was our main reason for choosing that time frame to visit, not to mention my dear StepMom's birthday is 2 weeks earlier.  Why not go celebrate them while we still have them to celebrate?!



We flew into Tampa on January 27 and spent until Monday afternoon with Dad and "G".  The 'rents live in a beautiful golf community about 50 minutes north of Tampa airport.   A couple days we made our way to the coast, one day all together for a picnic at Anclote River Park in Tarpon Springs, FL

Had some fun in Tarpon Springs on Dad's Birthday
- took Dad's first selfie with him and enjoyed a picnic in the park
before heading off in search of manatees (of which we saw none)


and another day Hubby and I ventured down to Clearwater Beach (softest sand EVER!).



Monday afternoon, Hubby and I rented a car and head to the middle of the State for a few days of fun at one of my most favourite places in the world... Walt Disney World!  We booked a room in the Coronado Springs Resort as our "home base" as we park-hopped our way to 3 parks a day, enjoying our most favourite as well as newest rides in the parks.  

Highlights of our quick trip were:

Magic Kingdom - New 7 Dwarves Mine Train Coaster - long lines for this brand new ride but it was a great coaster and family friendly for riders of all ages; Parades/Fireworks - the afternoon and evening parades are not to be missed on any visit to Magic Kingdom.  I wanted to go back our second night but we didn't have time after dinner in Downtown Disney to get back in time so we went to Epcot for Illuminations instead.

The 90 minute wait for the brand new 7 Dwarves Mine Train was well worth it!

Who doesn't love a Disney parade?  
Disney evening parades and fireworks put the "magic" in Magic Kingdom!

Epcot - Soaring - exciting sites and scents of California as you "hand glide" over the west coast State.  We've done this ride in California Adventure in Disneyland before but it was fun to experience it again in Epcot.  We also checked out the Test Track and had a quick glance at Nemo's friends.  Our last night we ended up back at Epcot for Illuminations.

Toot Sweet Tour of Epcot
Animal Kingdom - Kilimanjaro Safari - we took advantage of early entry as a Disney Resort guest to enjoy this ride early in the morning before the park opened to other guests.  This was probably the 3rd or 4th time I've done this ride but this particular morning was the best - we saw almost every animal in the park!

We weren't there long but we saw lots of animals in Animal Kingdom!

Hollywood Studios - New "For the First Time In Forever" Frozen Sing-A-Long production - this retelling of the Frozen story was a mix of film clips and live performance that had the crowd singing the most popular songs.  Our first time seeing it (yes, I said first time!) there was this sweet little girl, probably around 4-6 yrs old, dressed in her Queen Elsa dress sitting in front of me.  During "Let It Go" she started making the arm motions that Elsa does in the movie.  I was overcome by emotion at seeing this as it struck something so "magical" mixed with perhaps a touch of "barren" grief.  I almost burst out in tears it was so precious.  The next day we head back to the "Studios" to redo a few of our favourites (like Frozen again) and Hollywood Tower of Terror.    The other ride we loved on our first day's visit was Aerosmith Rockin' Roller Coaster.  It's not a coaster for sissy's that's for sure though - it moves super fast and it's completely in the dark!

LOVED this Frozen Sing-A-Long!

Think this was our favourite park


Another 2 highlights in Hollywood Studios was the Beauty and the Beast show (this one never gets old!) and seeing the golden carriage used in the upcoming Cinderella movie.  Oh my goodness... what a beautiful carriage it is!  We enjoyed an extended sneak peek of the movie while in the park and can I just say... I Can't Wait!! This movie is gonna be GOOD!  I read too that there is a short Frozen Sequel movie that will be shown before Cinderella.  Double excitement!

Gotta love those Disney Princesses!

I never tire of Disney and am already thinking of when we can head back down again for another ... longer visit (and maybe get a Disney cruise in there too!)  You're never too old for Disney I say :-)
 
Until next time...

No comments: