Friday, January 2, 2015

New Year, New Focus

Wow... can it really be a new year?  2015!  The year that Marty McFly ventured to in "Back to the Future", one of my all-time favourite trilogies.  We don't have the many futuristic conveniences of Marty and Doc Brown's 2015, but we definitely have come quite a ways since 1985.  In 1985 I was a 20-something single woman, starting off in life with my first major job, my first car and my whole life before me.  Today, I reflect on a life that might not have turned out according to "my plan", but a life that is rich with love, the Lord and adventures.

2014 was a year of highs and lows, losses and gains, goals reached and bucket list items ticked off.  We said good-bye to colleagues, and prayed in earnest for loved ones fighting the dreaded "C" word.

2014 was a year of work travel for both the Hubby and myself.  For Hubby it was his regular rotation of Connecticut, Texas, California and Puerto Rico mainly.  For me, I experienced my first Disney Cruise (HIGHLY recommend even without kids!), sailed the Carnival Breeze to the Caribbean and spent 17 glorious days in Paradise, touring the Hawaiian Islands to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary.

My business really took off this year (hence the terrible blogging history) with sales of just under $300,000.  I surpassed my first goal and almost reached me "dream big" goal, missing it by only $6,000.  I learned a lot about myself through my business this year.  I am definitely a Type B temperament so my job takes extra brain power and concentration as juggling the many balls of my clients' travel details takes a ton of energy for me.  Unfortunately, that extra brain power robs me of the ability to be the homemaker I imagine myself to be (unrealistically I aim to be June Cleaver).  I also find that with so many travel details rambling around my brain constantly that I have become somewhat of an ADD victim.

All in all though, 2014 was a good year.  As I reflect on the new year dawning, my goals are to find better balance between work, home and church life.  I long to work smarter so that I can reach my work goals and learn to shut my "office brain" off at a certain time and not feel the guilt and pull to work around the clock (as I sometimes feel I need to do).  I long to dig deeper into my walk with God, getting that back to where it used to be.  I long to cook more meals (healthier even) and lose the extra weight that the menopausal years have snuck onto my bones.  I long to love deeper, give of myself more freely, judge less and be the Light of Christ that I'm called to be.

How about you?  How was your 2014?  What are your hopes, dreams, goals for 2015?  I hope to blog more - forcing myself to slow down and concentrate more and on something other than work.

God bless you and your loved ones as we begin this next chapter of our lives - the chapter called 2015!

No comments: