Tuesday, February 4, 2014

In Transition

Lying in bed the evening of January 30 I couldn't help but think of that night's sleep as a "new year's eve" of sorts as January 31st was to be a day of irreversible change. It was that day, the last day of January 2014 that we would take possession of our second home as a married couple.

While waiting for the call from the lawyer's office Friday morning, Hubby and I went to pick up the elements of our new walk-in closet and kitchen pantry.


We then returned home to find my Mother-in-law who was almost as excited as we were for the day's exciting events.  After a bite of lunch and more waiting, the call came in at 2:21pm.  "Congratulations on your new house" the law clerk said.  "Your keys are ready to be picked up".  I told her we'd be right there and we all jumped in the car and drove the 15 minutes to the lawyer's office.  We were SO ready to check out our new place!

Our weekend was spent first ripping out the old original carpet before painting our master bedroom, taking it from a dark dramatic blue to our tropical oasis of bright "green grape" and gentle "quiet blue" like in our present home.  

Before (taken before possession)


After (pre-carpeting)
We also ripped apart the closet and assembled our new closet organizer pieces:

Taking down the closet bars

New Closet elements
We also painted our new ensuite but I don't have the pictures for that yet… stay tuned for that ;-)

Monday morning the contractors came in and ripped up the old carpet from the main floor and ripped out the original kitchen.  They cut a new kitchen doorway and prepped the original doorway for drywalling later in the reno.  They screwed down the floors in preparation for today's big task which was placing the tiles in the hallway, powder room and kitchen.  I can't wait until tomorrow to check it out.

I wasn't planning to do any other painting for awhile but yesterday I decided to repaint the guest bedroom, freshening it up and taking it from the girly bedroom feel.  I had mistakenly bought more "quiet blue" than I needed for our room so that was the colour I decided to go with for the guest room.  It really is a gorgeous blue.  In some light it almost looks periwinkle.  I did the first coat and trim yesterday afternoon and this morning I got over to the house at 8am to paint the second coat before the tile guys showed up.

Guest Room (before we took possession)

Fresh new look
(this is much brighter in this picture than in person)
Tomorrow I will finish up packing while the tile guys finish up their work on the hallway floors.  Grout day is Thursday and then Friday our carpet installers arrive and the kitchen cabinets get assembled.  Woot Woot!  Every day is feeling like Christmas as we "unwrap" a new phase of our reno!  Exciting days!!

I'll keep you posted as we go!  Until next time...


1 comment:

Jules said...

Hi Sue!
It's been a while since I stopped by. I couldn't be happier about you having a new house to decorate. :) I am sure things are coming along nicely since you posted this update.

Have a wonderful weekend!
Hugs, Jules