Friday, January 10, 2014

Riding the Wave… and Crashing!

January is the beginning of "Wave Season", a three month selling season for travel agents.  Our "Christmas" if you will.  It is when the cruise lines in particular start shelling out amazing deals and offers for winter getaways and summer cruises to Europe and Alaska.  Normally I would be thrilled for the busyness and excitement of this frenzy of selling activity but I have to say that "riding the wave" this season is killing me!

Today was a prime example of my crashing during this season… and the season of moving.  I was up early (for me) and after a slow start I got up and started working right away.  I had ticket issues I needed to confirm from the night before's purchase with one of our consolidators.  All the while I was tapping away on my computer, the packing boxes in my home were calling out to me.  Pack me… pack me!  I planned to get to those in the afternoon.

While I continued some travel business, I kept getting calls about the move.  The bank re: the mortgage, Hubby about insurance issues.  I thought my brain was going to explode from the quick shift it was repeatedly making going from one focus to the next.  When I got up stairs after a quick lunch of Greek yogurt, I was fighting with a packing box, trying to jam my baking supplies in one single box when the phone rang again with Hubby wanting me to do something else for the insurance company… or the bank… or the lawyers… I forget now.

Like a rubber band about to snap, I lashed out at Hubby in my frustration, and he kindly took it but I knew he was not thrilled with the stressed out woman on the other end of the phone.  Not long after I called to apologize for being such a freak.  I decided at that point I needed some "balance" in my day and I made myself a cup of tea, grabbed my journal and began documenting my day and eventually having a visit with Jesus.  Journalling often helps me in finding perspective and right relationship with God.  Do you find that?  After my time with God I took another quick moment to watch an episode of Last Man Standing on Netflix.  Tim Allen's "Mike Baxter" always makes me laugh as does the rest of the cast.  I remember my former doctor telling me to have at least one good belly laugh a day.  I was just following doctor's orders at that point.

Before I got back to packing (and preparing our house for the new buyers to stop by for an hour's visit tomorrow) I started to prep for dinner in between calls and emails for business.  I had a roast I'd taken out of the freezer so I cut up onion, carrots and potatoes and placed them around the roast.  Easy breezy dinner… and delicious to boot!

The rest of the evening was again a mix of packing, cleaning and business.  Little by little the house is filling up with boxes while the cozy-factor declines.  I feel badly for the buyers when they come in tomorrow.  This place looks NOTHING like the place did when they first came in ;-)  Hopefully they will understand… we're doing this all for them after all - ha ha.

So… today I felt like I crashed riding the wave of life… and wave season.  I was not the Spirit-filled woman I would have liked to be.  I let exhaustion and overwhelm get the best of me.  I was a woman of in-balance today and I don't like that.  As Scarlett O'Hara said though… "I won't think about that now.  After all… tomorrow is another day!"

Until next time...

1 comment:

Tammy said...

I can relate. Some days I feel like Wonder Woman. Other days, I feel like Wonder-less Woman :p But no matter what, spending time with God is always just what I need to make my day good--or bearable. Hope things have slowed down for you. Hugs!